1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New - Important Blog Post by Dr Michael Snyderman

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by VillageLife, Sep 18, 2012.

1. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom

New post by Dr Michael Snyderman on Dr Jamie Deckoff Jones blog.

Called....We Must Move Foward

http://www.x-rx.net/blog/

This from Dr Snydermans new post!

2. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    New Post from Dr Snyderman in the comments:

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I mentioned this on the other thread and not saying i agree or disagree but antiretrovirals do have activity against herpes viruses. Could be a possible reason why the drugs have helped him?? Sort of go's with the theory of ebv etc in b cells and ritux studies where they think it might treat the ebv resevoir in b cells??
    Enid likes this.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
  5. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    The illnesses here are cancers.

I think that the reason we are such a heterogeneous group is that we have factors that participate in the pathogenesis of our illness. What these factors are and how many of them there are depends on our particular genetics and environment and how long we have been ill.

The challenge will be separating the initiating factor(s) from the participating factors. Getting more people diagnosed early in their illness will help because the will have fewer participating factors.
  6. currer

currer Senior Member

Even if Dr Mikovits cannot replicate her MLV findings we need to establish why Dr Snyderman's disease shows the dynamics in response to antiretrovirals that it does. I hope future research will not be afraid of further investigations in this area.
  7. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

No sensible researcher is going to go anywhere near Snyderman's writings. Cancer is an accepted (by all published criteria) exclusional condition from an M.E/CFS diagnosis, there is absolutely no way to know whether Snyderman's pre existing M.E/CFS is still an active disabling factor, or whether his cancer and its treatment are producing M.E/CFS type symptoms. I can see why he wants to put both his skills as scentist and the circumstances of his illness to good use, but he's working on an unfalsifiable hypothesis - scientfically that's very 'unrewarding.

IVI
  8. currer

currer Senior Member

I agree with you IVI in that Dr Snyderman is thinking about cancer patients primarily.
    I wonder whether antiretrovirals have some hitherto unrecognised action in modifying the immune response.

If Dr Mikovits cannot replicate her findings of MLVs in ME then we have to accept they are not there.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Cancer related fatigue is unexplained/not understood scientifically. Who is to say whether there aren't common pathways? Who is to say the drug won't have similar immuno-modulating effects in both cancer related fatigue and other forms of CFS? These are testable hypotheses.
    beaker, alice and Enid like this.
  10. currer

currer Senior Member

IVI we both remember that Dr Snyderman's CFS began long before his cancer. That is how I remember it anyway.

It would be nice to test the effects antiretrovirals have in diseases other than those where a retrovirus can be proven.
    RustyJ, beaker, alice and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.