• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New exome testing $400

Jenny TipsforME

@RogerBlack it looks like UK enrolment is only temporarily paused http://www.personalgenomes.org/uk/sign-up (you get your info for free but it is publicly available online for researchers to use).

I've thought about this on and off and each time I feel positive about it I find a reason to be cautious. I like the idea of sort of donating DNA info to science but I think you have to do it assuming you could be identified (you provide other information about yourself too). It's hard to know how this information could be misused in the future and potentially could cause prejudice for relatives too.

Yesterday when I was looking at this stuff I came across people angry at really basic email list errors, which doesn't inspire confidence.

My financial situation isn't as dire as it used to be, so I feel with prices coming down it is better to pay for some privacy.

TrixieStix

Hmm so Genos has an error rate of 0.5% which means a 1 in 200 error rate in reporting of SNPs. So even if you discover you have a variant that could have serious implications you still don't know if it's actually been read/reported correctly.

Plus Genos doesn't give you all your exome information, but instead only gives you data about the things in your exome that are different from the reference data. "This doesn’t mean that it is everything that is heterozygous or homozygous for the minor allele (a bad assumption on my part), but it is just everything that is different from a reference file."

I got this information from the following review.

https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/review-of-genos-whole-exome-sequencing/

Valentijn

Plus Genos doesn't give you all your exome information, but instead only gives you data about the things in your exome that are different from the reference data.
The raw data is available, it's just difficult to access, since processing and accessing genetic data requires certain tools and programs. I'm not sure why the blogger thinks they could do something meaningful by scrolling through a list of 50 million SNPs. Most programs can't handle that much data even as text, and the files probably contain a lot of additional information.

But they should still be able to look up specific SNPs via their website, from what I understand.

Last edited:

Valentijn

https://www.dantelabs.com/collections/our-tests/products/whole-genome-sequencing

Currently WHOLE GENOME testing for €599 :thumbsup:

Does this seem legit?
Honestly, a lot of things are making me uneasy about that one. It's not a good name (Dante being associated with hell), the price doesn't seem realistic for WGS at this point, the example of risk data is frivolous, and their tagline "Never Worry Again" is creepy as hell.

Their logo is an altered rip-off of 23andMe's logo. The box they show also looks like a rip-off of the 23andMe box, with text definitely copy-and-pasted on the inner lid (not part of a genuine photo). There's also weird colors (orange, pink, and purple) visible around the edges of their image of the open box if you zoom in, which shouldn't be in those places based on their images of the closed box. One of their lab photos is a stock image and the other is taken from the website of a university in Canada. So I'm not sure if anything they are showing exists at all.

I wouldn't send them money or any information.

Jenny TipsforME