• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New exome testing $400

RYO

Unfortunately, I suspect WES for ME/CFS patients are low yield. Perhaps someone like prof Davis can comment on how long before mining genetic data in complex condition such as ME\CFS will bear fruit.

Other researchers working on finding the functional elements in the genome of complex diseases have likened their search to looking for something within a haystack of a haystack.

Valentijn

No, someone posted slides from a talk about it. Maybe someone will post a link to the forum discussion.

Silence

How does this test compare with 23 and me or the veritas one? I am interested in further genetic testing to rule out mitochondrial diseases and Ehlers Danlos but don't really know much or anything at all about genetics. I had 23 and me done, but is it basically the same?

Valentijn

How does this test compare with 23 and me or the veritas one? I am interested in further genetic testing to rule out mitochondrial diseases and Ehlers Danlos but don't really know much or anything at all about genetics. I had 23 and me done, but is it basically the same?
It's very different from 23andMe. 23andMe was testing a maximum of around 100,000 SNPs, whereas this one is testing 50,000,000 SNPs.

23andMe is also pretty random in its testing. A lot of the SNPs they test aren't in the coding regions, or even on genes at all. Whole exome testing is targeted at the parts of the genome which are known to have the most impact, in the coding regions of the genes.

Having looked into some mitochondrial stuff, it's become apparent that 23andMe does not test for some important mitochondrial mutations. There's one mutation which causes 70-80% of all documented cases of MELAS, a disease which can cause the same symptoms as ME, but it's not included in 23andMe.

Exome testing would include the mitochondrial mutations. But due to those mutations sometimes appearing in some tissues but not others, a genetic test from blood or saliva might or might not show the mutation. So testing could show that there is a relevant mutation, but the lack of a relevant mutation in the results doesn't mean it isn't there.

Silence

It's very different from 23andMe. 23andMe was testing a maximum of around 100,000 SNPs, whereas this one is testing 50,000,000 SNPs.

23andMe is also pretty random in its testing. A lot of the SNPs they test aren't in the coding regions, or even on genes at all. Whole exome testing is targeted at the parts of the genome which are known to have the most impact, in the coding regions of the genes.

Having looked into some mitochondrial stuff, it's become apparent that 23andMe does not test for some important mitochondrial mutations. There's one mutation which causes 70-80% of all documented cases of MELAS, a disease which can cause the same symptoms as ME, but it's not included in 23andMe.

Exome testing would include the mitochondrial mutations. But due to those mutations sometimes appearing in some tissues but not others, a genetic test from blood or saliva might or might not show the mutation. So testing could show that there is a relevant mutation, but the lack of a relevant mutation in the results doesn't mean it isn't there.

Thanks for your input. I found a link to a website that maintains a lists of companies that do WGS- whole genome sequencing and ones that do WES- whole exome sequencing and the prices they charge:

http://arep.med.harvard.edu/gmc/genome_services.html

In your opinion is WES better than WGS?

I am actually debating whether to see a speciallist that deals with mitochondrial/metabolic disorders named Dr. Fran Kendall or to just spend the money on getting these sort of genetic testing done. Some people on this forum reported that they could not be helped by her.

Last edited:

alicec

Received my results a couple of days ago.

I'm making slow progress going through them - not very well at the moment - but am very favourably impressed with the way the site is organised.

So far I've just looked at the reports on variants. This is organised according to Standards and guidelines for the interpretation of sequence variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics and the Association for Molecular Pathology.

The categories are Pathogenic, Likely Pathogenic, VUS (variant of uncertain significance), Likely Benign, Benign.

In my case, 3773 variants have been identified which are categorised as follows:- 28 pathogenic, 6 likely pathogenic, 87 VUS, the remainder being benign or likely benign.

I have glanced at the likely pathogenic and VUS entries but have been concentrating on the pathogenic so far.

As well as basic info and links to dsSNP for each SNP, there is a graphic showing the number and types of entries relating to pathogenicity and links to the source of the entry. Even in the pathogenic category not all entries for a particular SNP indicate pathogenicity - there are mixed reports.

At a glance though one can home in on SNPs which have only pathogenic or mainly pathogenic reports. This makes it very easy to prioritise and conserve very limited energy reserves in dealing with the entries.

Direct links to source information on SNP status make it easy also to understand what is behind the categorisation.

So I'll pull out rare and/or clearly pathogenic SNPs to consider first, then work through the rest of the pathogenic category, then likely pathogenic, then VUS. At the rate I'm going this will take some time but it's not the fault of the website - this is very well organised. I just don't have the stamina at the moment.

So far I haven't found anything of especial significance for me, but have identified that my family is the source of the defect in melanin production which has resulted in my great niece having two children with albinism. I have a single copy of a very rare defect (allele frequency 0.023%) in tyrosinase (the enzyme which produces melanin from tyrosine). She unfortunately married a man who had a similar defect and 2 of their 3 children received two defective copies and have the disorder.

What a contrast this is to reports from MTHFRSupport. I received an email a few days ago about a new blog entry proposing that floxies (people adversely affected by the antibiotic fluoroquinolone) may have a defect in the glycine cleavage system.

I read the post, which also tried to tie in glyoxalate metabolism, and found it non-sensical. After some general statements, it simply listed a series of enzymes which it said were relevant (some clearly were, others less clearly so) and made no attempt to provide any evidence for the supposed link between floxies and glycine cleavage.

I looked at my updated variant report to see what SNPs were supposedly relevant to glyoxylate metabolism and glycine cleavage. As with all their reports a long list of variants are identified. I randomly clicked on a few links to SNPaedia to find out more about these variants. This simply said there is no entry for the SNP!

So they are just adding dubious variants in enzymes of dubious significance and claiming this somehow has relevance and is important without any justification whatsoever.

Genos instead is showing clearly the provenance of SNP status and making it easy to understand more about it.

So far I am very happy with the service.

Sea

Thank you @alicec . Can you remember when you sent in your sample? They said up to 90 days for processing when I sent mine so that puts me into May for results unless they're ahead of schedule.

I am excited about what I can learn from my results and pleased to know the process is well laid out. Places like Livewello really frustrate me because people rely on them thinking that what they say is accurate. I've had so many conversations with people who believe they have significant genetic disorders based on common ordinary snps because of the way Livewello presents their information.

Waverunner

I received my results two weeks ago. Genos presents the results in a very nice way but I also like to look up the single variants by SNPedia entries. So far I haven't found any highly interesting variants.

My variant with the lowest frequency (0.085%-0.090%) is https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs147231991 but it only is associated with non-syndromic genetic deafness.

Second place (0.926%-2%) is https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs35034250 , which is associated with biotinidase deficiency. I ordered some biotin yesterday.

Third place (0.992%-1%) is https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs28730837, which is associated with myeloperoxidase deficiency.

Fourth place (2%) is https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs72550870 , which is associated with MASP2 deficiency.

There are 20 other pathogenic variants left.

alicec

It has taken a while to report back on my results. I have shingles, slowly recovering but not yet back to where I was before it happened.

So far, I've only looked at the 28 SNPs flagged with at least one pathogenic report. Some of these had mixed reports (benign as well as pathogenic). The direct links given for each report of status make it easy to decide how much significance to place on the reports.

None of the SNPs appears to have serious consequences for me.

1) Five of them are homozygous.

a) Of these, two are actually the major allele and really don't mean anything.

i) One is rs1799983, NOS3 (nitric oxide synthase 3): c.894T>G (p.D298E), the same SNP as @Waverunner reported (do you have the major or minor allele?)

There seems to be considerable confusion about this SNP. dsSNP shows G as the ancestral allele and gives MAF data for T which is consistent with the frequency data reported by Genos (G=78-81%), yet shows the change as Genos reports it - viz T>G, asp>glu.

OMIM and several papers I looked at to try to sort this out report the change as G>T, glu>asp, which makes more sense.​

In any case, there is a single report of pathogenicity of the GG allele which is the reason Genos has flagged my result.

Supposedly the allele is associated with hypertension resistant to conventional treatment. No supporting research is provided with the claim.

So my conclusion is IGNORE.​

ii) Similarly for rs1494555, IL7R (IL7 receptor): c.412G>A (p.V138I) - slightly different confusion but there is no way the report of compound heterozygous (I have a single copy of the other allele) of this common allele could be really associated with the very serious rare condition of severe combined immunodeficiency - IGNORE.​

b) Of the remaining 3 which really are +/+, there are mixed reports of pathogenic and benign and little research outside of the narrow claims for pathogenicity.

i) One, rs4792311, ELAC2 (elaC ribonuclease Z2): c.650C>T (p.S217L); MAF 27%; does seem to have a fairly robust link to prostate cancer susceptibility (the reason for the pathogen classification), but no studies that I could find for other cancer types.

So on the face of it, since I don't have a prostate gland, nothing to be concerned about. The protein is interesting however and I have flagged it in my mind to follow up on.

Actually to me, this is the most interesting SNP of all, though since very little is known about it, my interest is theoretical.

The enzyme is involved in processing of tRNA precursors (in both the nucleus and mitochondrion) and is essential for tRNA biosynthesis and hence for translation of the genetic code into protein synthesis.

Other mutations have shown that the enzyme is essential for mitochondrial protein synthesis (including complex I and IV) and for OXPHOS.​

These other mutations show what happens when this enzyme goes seriously wrong. My variant doesn’t appear to have such serious consequences but subtler effects on mitochondrial function have just not been studied.

Maybe it is a variant that doesn’t matter much unless the system is placed under increased demand – such as by this terrible disease.

ii) rs743616, ARSA (arylsulfatase A): c.1178C>G (p.T393S); MAF 43-50%; has been associated with metachromatic leukodystrophy, a lysosomal storage disease affecting metabolism of sphingolipids.

There is no supporting evidence for the pathogenic classification so again it doesn't seem to be of real concern, but again the protein is interesting so I'll follow up on it, particularly given the evidence of disrupted sphingolipid metabolism in ME/CFS.

iii) rs2266782 FMO3 (flavin-containing monooxygenase 3): c.472G>A (p.E158K); MAF 35-44%; has been associated with the relatively benign, though I imagine, unpleasant, condition of trimethylaminuria - leading to fish odour. I don't have this condition but the protein is again interesting, being involved in detox of endogenous and exogenous biogenic amines. I'll keep an eye on it.​

2) Most of the 23 SNPs which are +/- fall into the category of tyrosinase, ie, the protein product has a very narrow well defined effect and only causes trouble if +/+. So again IGNORE.

A few however have potentially widespread effects and not much is really known about them, so again I have flagged them in my own mind for follow up. These include

i) rs34719006, ATP8B1 (ATPase, aminophospholipid transporter, class I, type 8B, member 1): c.208G>A (p.D70N) +/+ is linked to hereditary cholestatis, +/- to cholestasis of pregnancy.

The protein transports mitochondrial cardiolipin and maintains the asymmetric distribution of phospholipids in cell membranes which is necessary for function of various transporters; as a result it is thought to influence bile acid transporters, including the farnesoid X receptor (the subject of some interesting recent speculation on PR).

The link of +/- to a pregnancy related condition is of interest to me as it implies that when the system is under increased demand, +/- for this SNP may have consequences.

ii) rs10509305 STOX1 (storkhead box1): c.1824A>C (p.E608D) Pathogenicity is associated with pre-eclampsia. The protein is a transcription factor which seems to regulate the invasiveness of the trophoblast.

Of more general interest is that it regulates the cell cycle through effects on cyclin B and seems to be a genetic switch in ROS/RNS balance.​

iii) rs10065172 IRGM (immunity-related GTPase family M) : c.313C>T (p.(=)) The protein is involved in autophagy and the SNP is associated with Crohn’s, so is of interest, but the main reason I flagged it is as an example of how a synonymous codon change might have some consequence. The nucleotide change disrupts binding of miR-196 which is overexpressed in Crohn’s and down regulates IRGM, interfering with autophagy.
So no smoking guns, just a few interesting suspects. I imagine when I work my way through the 87 VUS reports there'll be a few more suspects to add.

Genos makes the report available in a Promethease compatible form so I'll run it through that program sometime and see what it pulls out.