• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New evidence of how gut microbes affect Inflammatory Bowel Disease

AndyPR

Scientists at the Institute of Food Research (IFR) have uncovered a new mechanism linking bacteria in the gut to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).
They have found that certain bacteria release molecules that interact with the lining of the gut to influence a process known as epithelial cell shedding. This shedding process is vital to maintaining a healthy gut lining, as it ensures that dead cells are replaced with a healthy turnover of new cells. However, in patients with IBD this shedding process happens more rapidly than cells can be replaced. This pathological cell shedding can in turn lead to a ‘leaky’ gut barrier.

http://www.ifr.ac.uk/news/latest-ne...-microbes-affect-inflammatory-bowel-disease/#

Study the article is referencing http://rsob.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/7/1/160155

ash0787

Anyone know much about Chrons disease ? that was another one that seemed to be little understood by scientists even though it causes obvious physical changes, perhaps that is what this paper is talking about

M Paine

A friend of mine has Crohn's, and asked a while back if I could look into it for her. My understanding is that Crohn's disease involves an autoimmune component. One area of promising research is directed at MAP infection (Mycobacterium Avium Paratuberculosis) as a possible cause in some patients.

Murph

:)
This is some of the most specific work I've seen on the role of bacterial metabolites. Seems like we're coming a long way on the understanding of leaky gut!

As recently as a few years ago the evidence for the leaky gut hypothesis was not strong enough for mainstream medicine to believe in it and it was considered fringe. Now we're seeing progress.

I'm fairly sure gut permeability is important for many me/cfs sufferers (digestive and body-wide symptoms go hand-in-hand for me). Things leaking into the bloodstream from the gut could be exactly what causes the immune system to decide hypometabolic/sickness responses are the body's best option.

As for direct application, if you're wondering if what works in the mouse epithelium will work in yours too, B.breve is easily available for purchase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's already taking it.

M Paine

I tend to agree, LPS and other microbial products entering the bloodstream is a simple and straight forward mechanism for innate and adaptive immune activation. It doesn't explain everything, but it's certainly worth exploring in more detail.