• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new empowher article: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: 10 Ways We Use the Internet

Thanks, Jody. I loved it!

p.s. A friend dropped by yesterday with a copy of your G&M article that she'd seen (thinking I might not have known about it). Thanks for all you're doing.

Jody

Thanks invisible ME,

I appreciate your encouragement. That was very cool of your friend.

I have to smile about that G&M article. It is really an article about someone who won a court case that has great significance in the cfs world. The other people in the article are her lawyer and someone speaking officially for a patient organization I believe. And then, there's me in the middle. I don't know these folks, didn't know the reporter before she contacted me because she'd seen my blog, I had nothing to do with the court case, and yet there I am. And that enormous photo for it is of me. Not of the pertinent people of the article. Me. Fascinating. :)

Jody,

It is curious the direction that was taken in that article. And you're right that the actual story about the court case - which got a bit lost - is potentially very important in terms of precedent. Hopefully, not just for people in Canada. You never know when you agree to participate in an article how it's going to turn out. That's the upside of blogging, I suppose :)

Jody

invisible ME,

I agree, the story about the court case is encouraging news, and hopefully will be just the first in a new trend.

Agreeing to be interviewed for an article is a crap shoot. You get as much information in as you can, knowing that only a small portion will actually be used and you hope that the context will be accurate so what you said doesn't come out sounding all wrong. But it's the writer's prerogative, they write the article as they see fit, and you just hope for the best. And be prepared for the worst. :)

Having written some articles using interviews myself, I understand that really, there is no other way, you can't let the interviewee come in and edit stuff.

And yes, blogging has the advantage of being completely in my control. :)