Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Drug Shows Promise in MS (Monoclonal Antibody that targets CD20 on B Cells!)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sissy's Mom, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Sissy's Mom

Sissy's Mom

2. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

3. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Noteworthy:

"For decades, work in the field has focused on targeting one component of the immune system the T cells which were always seen as the smoking gun of the disease because they attack nerve fibers in the brain, causing the lesions and ultimately the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Ocrelizumab, in contrast, targets a molecule called CD20 found on the surface of B cells, a separate component of the immune system."

4. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Slightly off-topic, but Montel is on Dr Oz talking about his struggles with MS - he has been eventually helped tremendously by medical marijuana.

5. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

This is exactly what Rituxan does - ocrelizumab is just a newer version of it. For the pharma company to keep making money once their patent expires in 2015.

6. Sissy's Mom

Sissy's Mom

For me, the upshot of this article is that a bonafide autoimmune condition (MS) responds favorably to a monoclonal antibody. My sister has MS, my daughter CFIDS.

7. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

So yesterday I had a long conversation about rituxan with a specialty pharmacist where I get ivig. I was surprised to hear that he has many ms patients on rituxan since I did not think insurance paid for it as it is not specifically indicated for ms. He told me that it requires a prior auth and depends on the insurance but there definitely are patients receiving it for ms. That said, I do not know anything about the patients and their forms of ms.

See more popular forum discussions.