The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New drug for OI will seek FDA approval this year

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by urbantravels, Apr 19, 2011.

1. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    OK, that's a bad headline, a drug can't "seek" much of anything on its own. But anyhoo, the drug in question is droxidopa or L-DOPS, it's been mentioned by Dr. Peter Rowe as a widely used treatment for orthostatic intolerance in Japan and other countries, said to be well tolerated. The company that makes it will be presenting it to the FDA for approval later this year, per Bloomberg:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9MM7E2G0.htm

2. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Nice!! Thanks !

3. TinyT

TinyT Senior Member

Australia
    Sweet! Let's bring it to Australia!

4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Ohio, USA

Ohio, USA
    Great news - I know someone that was in the trials here in the US, she had severe OI and she said that it helped a great deal but that it made her extremely nauseated. She said about 25% of the people in that trial had this side effect.

I am excited this is coming to market - I think if we can tolerate standing, this illness would be much more tolerable.

5. toddm1960

toddm1960 Senior Member

Rochester, New York
    I wonder overall what percentage of OI has hypotension or hypertension? It seems 95% of research is focused on hypotension, this drug is another example.

See more popular forum discussions.