Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New doubts on Zika as cause of microcephaly

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by A.B., Jul 4, 2016.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160624150813.htm

merylg, Chezboo, Hip and 11 others like this.
  2. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    i can foresee a long legal battle with various vested interest muddying the waters for many long years to come.

MEMum, Chezboo, Ritto and 9 others like this.
  3. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Industrial chemicals NEVER causes harm, oh no siree! Perfectly safe...ah huh :whistle:

Ritto, alkt and ahmo like this.
  4. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Seems more likely..

5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    maybe its a cattle virus

6. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

Yes, but they might find it hard to argue mass hysteria. Not that that's stopped them before...

BurnA, alkt and SilverbladeTE like this.
  7. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Senior Member

Its too bad the Olympic games will be held in Rio this August, when there are still many unanswered questions about Zika. I feel bad for the athletes that must be wondering if they are putting their health at risk simply by attending.

MEMum, alkt, ahmo and 2 others like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

According to the following article, it is the Asian strain of the Zika virus, not the African strain, that may be the cause of microcephaly:

Zika virus strain 'imported from the Americas' to Africa - BBC News

The strain in Brazil is the Asian strain of Zika, and this Asian strain has now jumped into Africa, where three cases of microcephaly have appeared.

That being said, the strain in Colombia is also the Asian strain,1 so it is not clear why there are no microcephaly cases in Colombia.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Groggy Doggy and alkt like this.
  9. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    in poor country the report of cases are slow. Give it time. In Dominican rep they had the first case reported of E after zica virus been there a bit.

10. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    If pesticides were the cause of the microcephaly, wouldn't there be babies born to non-infected mother's who are also microcephalic. Have there been any reports of this?

I think it's likely down to the strain causing the microcephaly.

Valentijn and A.B. like this.
  11. Riley

Riley Senior Member

Louisiana
    Valentijn, merylg, A.B. and 2 others like this.
  12. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Or...both
    I've long wondered how severe the synergistic affects of disease/toxins are
    not much study done on it as it's terribly complex and the few things I've read over years tends to support the idea that synergies produce WAY more dangerous outcomes than could ever be expected from what should be, by individual doses/disease be practically harmless

possibly true, but whenever I hear the possibility of industrial accident...my "conspiracy alert meter" flashes like the blue lamp on the TARDIS :p

[​IMG]

It may all just be down to a new strain
    but from experience, when industrial pollution accidents happen, cover ups almost ALWAYS occur

13. asleep

asleep Senior Member

http://www.nature.com/news/zika-and-birth-defects-what-we-know-and-what-we-don-t-1.19596

These are the most recent numbers I've seen. 854 confirmed cases of microcephaly with a lab confirmed zika association in only 97, so it looks like most have nothing to do with zika (though it's unclear if the remainder were negative or untested).

Moreover the very outbreak appears overstated as only a fraction of suspected microcephaly cases are confirmed.

Lastly, even if zika were present in most or all cases of microcephaly it would mean very little if zika is endemic in the population, much like finding evidence of EBV alone doesn't carry much weight since almost everyone has it.

14. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK

Later in the article:

I am not understanding your last comment-- endemic refers to regularly found in a population -- a pathogen can be endemic and cause much disease and death eg., malaria, syphilis, bacillary dysentery, tuberculosis, different types of pneumonia and influenza etc.

15. asleep

asleep Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of the additional part of the article to the numbers I posted. You asked if there were non-zika microcephaly cases and the epidemiology shows that most cases are in fact non-zika (or at least not known to be zika-related). If the claim is that zika causes more severe microcephaly then one would at least expect a correlation between zika and severity, but they fail to detail one if it does exist.

As for my last point, I probably should have said widespread instead of endemic, though I assumed my EBV analogy would make that clear. The point is that if, hypothetically, zika evidence is found in nearly 100% of the local population, then finding it in most/all cases of "XYZ" (in this case microcephaly) doesn't mean much as a correlation. It's an alternative answer to your original question in that even if all microcephaly cases were zika associated it doesn't necessarily rule out another cause. I've not seen anyone address how widespread it is but given its vector, its presence since at least the 50s, and its typical asymptomatic course, I think it's very plausible that zika is widespread in the region.

16. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Can it not be like rubella?

17. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160307-zika-virus-microcephaly-brazil-science/

Valentijn, MEMum and A.B. like this.
  18. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.