• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Coyne blog: Why the scientific community needs the PACE trial data to be released

A.B.

Coyne said:
British mental health professionals need a Talleyrand-like diplomat for transition from ancien psychosomatic regime needing change

He totally gets it.

https://twitter.com/CoyneoftheRealm/status/664701166245257216

I like the term "ancien psychosomatic regime". They really are stuck in the past in many ways. In their world, correlation equals causation, clinical trials need no objective end points or blinding, and patients are considered to be in denial and unable to contribute anything to a discussion. Making up a bullshit on the spot is the norm, and they're more concerned with polishing their appearance than anything else.

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
o_O Who knew we were this powerful? I had no idea we were "very damaging". Anyone know what we damaged? And who did it? I hope you're planning to pay for it. :p

Seriously though, "highly organized"? Us? I'm not sure we qualify as any kind of organized compared to other advocacy groups, or even general patient organizations.

Has Coyne seen the letters written in response to the original PACE paper and rejected by the Lancet?

Just to see how 'damaging' they were?

Sidereal

Has Coyne seen the letters written in response to the original PACE paper and rejected by the Lancet?

Just to see how 'damaging' they were?

Probably not but I bet he would enjoy reading them. Are they posted anywhere?

worldbackwards

Last edited:

Chrisb

I just picked up a copy of The Psychologist which was lying around. Not mine I hasten to add. In it there is an article by Chris Ferguson, Professor of Psychology at Stetson University Florida, entitled "Our struggle between science and pseudoscience".

Referring to this blog of JC he says "And the refusal by scholars in the PACE trial of chronic fatigue treatment to release data revealed continued problems with transparency in published science."

Word is getting about.

Large Donner

interview of Richard Horton and PACE investigator Michael Sharpe in which former Lancet Editor Richard Horton condemned:
A fairly small, but highly organised, very vocal and very damaging group of individuals who have…hijacked this agenda and distorted the debate

Hashtag "Horton condemns the BPS crowd over ME" :)

Bob

Last edited: