Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New composite antidepressant targets opioid receptors

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/drugs-combined-to-treat-depression-31302295.html

zzz, Battery Muncher, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

To quote that article:
    This is an interesting approach. It seems that to get the antidepressant effects, the goal is to block the kappa opioid receptor, but without agonizing the mu opioid receptor.

Though there is already a similar combination drug on the market called suboxone (a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone), which is taken as a sublingual tablet, and sued by some ME/CFS patients on this forum. Naloxone and naltrexone have very similar effects.

Another possible approach might be to take the supplement amentoflavone, which is a kappa opioid antagonist. Amentoflavone is found in ginkgo biloba, but can also be bought separately. Hesperidin (found in orange juice) is also a kappa opioid antagonist with apparent antidepressant effects. 1

I found this forum post about the anti-anhedonia effects of kappa opioid antagonists interesting. To quote this post:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    zzz and Marco like this.
  3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

This is a beyond obvious treatment approach. The only reason it's taken many decades of torture of depressed patients with serotonergic mind-numbing drugs to arrive at this trivial conclusion is puritanistic concerns about the opioid system and drugs.

Dufresne, zzz and Ema like this.
  4. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Yep - it's like high dose Baclofen for alcoholism or e-cigarettes for tobacco. It seems that some people aren't satisfied unless the people with the problem suffer or have to undergo some sort of 'moral rehabilitation' to cure them of their 'habit'.

Cheshire and Sidereal like this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

http://www.prohibitionkills.blogspot.com

zzz likes this.
  6. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Let's be clear. I'm in no way in favour of illegal drug use but high dose Baclofen has been licensed to treat alcoholism in France and e-cigarettes are currently legal but various lobby groups in various countries are seeking to severely restrict or ban them. Ketamine has an almost instant anti-depressant effect in treatment resistant depression yet is unlikely to be approved due its previous misuse as a 'recreational' drug.

7. helios

helios

Brisbane
    You can add GHB on to that...though its back out now in very restricted circumstances by a pharama company at 10 times the previous cost. . Where I live Kava and tryptophan were off the market for years unnecessarily. Kraton sounds like a very interesting medicinal plant yet its outlaws where I live even though there has been zero issues/bad cases.

8. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Doesn't suboxone have a pretty nasty withdrawal though?

Amentoflavone hits the GABAa receptor like benzos so it might further dysregulate glutamate as well. I'm wary of anything to do with GABA after my Valium debacle.

But other than that, it sounds great!

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Wait and see. Many times drugs with such hypothesised effects have failed to demonstrate efficacy in humans.

10. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I've tried buprenorphrine to good effect. Had anyone else tried any of this stuff?

See more popular forum discussions.