1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New biomarker test for ME/CFS: NADPH measurement at Riordan Clinic

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by richvank, Apr 11, 2012.

1. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Biochemical effects of Ribose and nADH Therapy in children with Autism
    http://www.la-press.com/redirect_fi...rapy-in-Children-with-Autism.pdf&fileType=pdf

The study found that both NADH and ribose can increase NADPH levels, with NADH being the most effective. Since NADH is converted to NAD before being phosphorylated to NADP (and later hydrolyzed to NADPH), maybe taking NAD would be just as effective. It's certainly cheaper. The advantage of NADH over NAD is that it would donate ATP.
  2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    NAD is turning out to be really interesting:

"During chronic CNS inflammation, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) concentrations are altered by (T helper) Th1-derived cytokines through the coordinated induction of both indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase (IDO) and the ADP cyclase CD38 in pathogenic microglia and lymphocytes. While IDO activation may keep auto-reactive T cells in check, hyper-activation of IDO can leave neuronal CNS cells starving for extracellular sources of NAD. Existing data indicate that glia may serve critical functions as an essential supplier of NAD to neurons during times of stress. Administration of pharmacological doses of non-tryptophan NAD precursors ameliorates pathogenesis in animal models of MS. Animal models of MS involve artificially stimulated autoimmune attack of myelin by experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) or by viral-mediated demyelination using Thieler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV). The Wld(S) mouse dramatically resists razor axotomy mediated axonal degeneration. This resistance is due to increased efficiency of NAD biosynthesis that delays stress-induced depletion of axonal NAD and ATP."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19149604/
  3. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Thanks for all the info on NAD. I am going to order it and take it to see if it helps.
  4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Great, I will order it too. So we have a small n=2 study going on ;)
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Shall we make it n=3? I'll order some, too.

Any idea what a "pharmacolgical dose" is?
  6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
  7. kaffiend

kaffiend Senior Member

California
    Just my experience, but I found sublingual NADH supplements to be very short-acting and couldn't be taken on consecutive days without experiencing a severe crash.
    taniaaust1 and Wildcat like this.
  8. Pea

Pea Senior Member

Has anyone tried the NAD yet?
  9. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I have been taking it for a few days now. Cannot say that it has made any difference.
  10. SOC

USA
    I just started Equilibrant, so I'm waiting to settle in with that before I start NAD. I do have it, though, ready to go as soon as is reasonable.
  11. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Still waiting for mine to arrive.
  12. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    I've found this same thing happens with anything that can give a sudden, significant burst of energy. It's like your body burns through all it's stores rapidly and leaves you in a depleted state.

hixxy
  13. Guido den Broeder

Guido den Broeder *****

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    What would the effect of Methylene Blue as a supplement be?
  14. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
  15. SOC

USA
    I started NAD (today is the 3rd day) and I'm surprised to find that so far I have noticed a significant positive effect. I feel like I have more energy, but since it's early days I'm not deliberately changing my activity level. Want to make sure the effect lasts before I go messing with an energy envelope that works.

More surprisingly, my HR is noticeably changed. My HR upon waking has dropped steadily from 88 bpm to 78 bpm.
    At the same time, my HR supine after being up and about for 5-10 mins has locked in at 104 bpm where previously it varied on a daily basis between 100 bpm and 116 bpm.

This could be a data blip, or it may be related to NAD but not lasting, or it may be the effect of Equilibrant (I started that 6 weeks ago at a low dose). Thought it was interesting enough to share, though. :)
    MeSci, Little Bluestem and taniaaust1 like this.
  16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Rich - all your hard work and knowledge - what sets this crazy cascade of pathological events will be so nice to know one day too.
  17. Skyline

Skyline Senior Member

Bangkok, Thailand
    How did this NAD / NADPH experiment go? Did anyone get any positive results from it?
  18. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I still find NAD helpful. Then again, I seem to prefer all the B vitamins in their active form. B3 seems very important for balancing methylation.
  19. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I know the B vits are better taken together rather than in isolation, I would like to try this form of B3 any suggestions for sublingual mixes in this coenzymated form?
  20. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I take all my B vits individually, but more or less the same time. MB12, ADB12, 5MTHF and NAD sublingually before breakfast. R5P, P5P, pantethine and biotin with breakfast.

See more popular forum discussions.