• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New article "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Takes a Bite Out of the Holidays "

G

George

Beautiful

That was a really wonderful article Jody it felt as if it came from my heart. Thank you for all of the wonderful words you write that help clarify and solidify the experience of CFS/ME from our side of the fence.

Jody

Thanks George,

(I THINK George is the name of your dog, is that right? :))

Sometimes I will write strictly "informational" articles. But I think the personal experience ones have their place too. Helps people look past the data and see the real people -- all us chronics :D -- that the data is about. And I think sometimes it just brings it home more.

I know my story is so many others' story as well. All our stories need to be known. Glad to know you feel this spoke for you a bit. :)

blackbird

caged.
I don't do crying, but I was close reading that.

This will be my first Christmas where I'll need to ration myself, and without any cure in the offing (and no treatment whatsoever form NHS), it could be the first of many.

Glad that you're on the up though. Hopefully we'll all have a route to improvements in the near future.

Jody

Blackbird,

The first time in many ways is the toughest. But hopefully you will find that using different means of conserving energy, maybe conserving funds, can be okay.

Sometimes, they may even be an improvement. Depends I guess, on how ragged you used to run yourself at this time of year. :D

I miss alot of the old stuff as I said in the article. But another side of me is quite relieved. And really doesn't want to go through all the flurry again.

There is something to be said for simplicity and aiming for peace, balance and ... homeostasis. :)

Just try to remember that, you are not alone in this. Many other chronics are sharing that space with you, in trying to rest and pace through the holidays, missing their old selves and their old lives.

Perhaps that will help you to feel less of a sense of loss. I hope so, anyway.:)

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Well done!

Well done, Jody, as usual. I think the personal stories are helpful to many who are experiencing the same thing but feeling quite alone in it. I also think they're helpful to those who are not chronics but who are willing to try to understand. I'm sure you're reaching a few out there, and every little bit helps!

Good job.

Snez

Thanks Jody, I appreciated the personal touch in your story. The part that struck a chord with me -being in the vicinity of all the action but not directly involved...this is the real heartache.

Trying to slow down when everyone else is speeding up takes a lot of self-control...my experience at the moment.

Last Christmas was a total wipe-out for me. So now that I am feeling better I am enjoying the luxury of baking lots of cookies I cannot eat:).

hugs,
Snez

Jody

Well done, Jody, as usual. I think the personal stories are helpful to many who are experiencing the same thing but feeling quite alone in it. I also think they're helpful to those who are not chronics but who are willing to try to understand. I'm sure you're reaching a few out there, and every little bit helps!

Good job.

Thanks Finch. :)

starryeyes

Thank you Jody. I came close to crying too. That was really heartfelt and I could relate to everything you wrote. I hope you have a very nice Christmas Season and that you feel good. :)

tee

O

Ontario52

i come close to crying too... no, not with every article you write, but because you have this damned disease and how you cope with it

CJB

Hi, Alan!! You're just the guy I've been wanting to talk with. Would you please give Jody a special hug and kiss from us?