The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Andrew Gelman blog post on the "PACE scandal", 25 Dec 2015

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Andrew Gelman is a high-profile University of Columbia professor of statistics and political science and he's just brought out his second blog post about PACE (here's his first one), on Xmas Day of all days - that's dedication for you!

Thank you, Professor Gelman! :thumbsup:

He got interested in this when James Coyne wrote to him - we're fortunate that (a) we've got Coyne on our side and that (b) Coyne's approach of focusing on the bad science is successfully attracting the interest of people like Gelman.

2. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

New blog post:
    http://andrewgelman.com/2016/01/05/pace-study-and-the-lancet-journal-reputation-is-a-two-way-street/

Published only a few minutes after James Coyne's "Undisclosed conflicts of interest in a systematic review protocol of interventions for medically unexplained symptoms".

May 2016 be an "annus horribilis" for some in the UK...

3. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    That isn't a symptom of ME, is it?

Sorry.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    halcyon, GreyOwl, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I do wonder, given that David Tuller also posted yesterday, whether they aren't co-ordinating their attacks. Certainly it's clear that they aren't going to let this go.

I also wonder what White et al, think of all this. Are they scared? Do they think it's a storm that will blow over? Would they be right?

I also wonder if, even considering all the bad faith with which they conduct their work, whether they even understand that they've done anything wrong. Maybe this is all so standard in psychiatry that they haven't even really thought about it.

Questions. What we need is a mole.

WE NEED A DOUBLE AGENT.

Daisymay, MeSci, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    For retweeting:

mango, Daisymay, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I have suspected this for some time. Too many poor methodologies are entrenched in psychiatry, and have become the standard. This needs to change or psychiatry will hardly advance.

soti, Daisymay, caledonia and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.