1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Alzheimer's blood test based on 10 biomarker proteins

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    It would be great to have a protein biomarker blood test for ME.
    Dr Lipkin and Dr Hornig are studying proteomics and metabolomics as part of their research program for ME/CFS.
    If they found a protein biomarker, it would be transformative.
    taniaaust1, merylg, beaker and 6 others like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    taniaaust1 and Firestormm like this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    They are proving a very good resource for these kind of things aren't they? This was about statistical interpretation (again) or 'what the journalists did not understand so well'. But the research is still considered useful - bottom line though I guess would be would you want to know a year before the disease progressed when no treatment was available? As the article says, it might help you to make lifestyle adjustments - but some undoubtedly wouldn't want to know: and it's perhaps worth considering the benefits of knowing... I read it through yesterday and of course now can't remember any of the other points made - worth a read through definitely. And note who wrote it (again).
    merylg and Valentijn like this.
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    It's not too surprising that it doesn't hold up to the hype. We have similar "blood tests" for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia, yet they offer a relatively weak association at best, when it comes to diagnosis.

The results from those sorts of studies are best applied in determining directions for future research. But some people see an opportunity for making money off of them, and take the easy route instead.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    merylg likes this.
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

From Twitter earlier today:

I am not able to read it now but the title of the article has certainly been changed - dunno about the content....??? Weird.
    Bob likes this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks Russ.

Their main conclusion doesn't look any different to me.
    Firestormm likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.