• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Alzheimer’s treatment fully restores memory function (mice)

anne_likes_red

http://www.sciencealert.com/new-alzheimer-s-treatment-fully-restores-memory-function

Of the mice that received the treatment, 75 percent got their memories back.

Australian researchers have come up with a non-invasive ultrasound technology that clears the brain of neurotoxic amyloid plaques - structures that are responsible for memory loss and a decline in cognitive function in Alzheimer’s patients.

There's a link to the abstract of the study in article I liked to.
(If anyone's interested in a pdf of the full text, PM me.)

Anne.

nandixon

Very interesting. I wonder if this ultrasound technique to "gently open up the blood brain barrier" could be used as a BBB disruption method to achieve better CNS penetration for drugs that otherwise have a difficult time making it through the BBB. Like rituximab.

adreno

PR activist
By oscillating super-fast, these sound waves are able to gently open up the blood-brain barrier, which is a layer that protects the brain against bacteria, and stimulate the brain’s microglial cells to move in. Microglila cells are basically waste-removal cells, so once they get past the blood-brain barrier, they’re able to clear out the toxic beta-amyloid clumps before the blood-brain barrier is restored within a few hours.
Huh? The brain already has microglial cells.

adreno

PR activist
I think the point is the microglia have limitations on their function, and this technique is claimed to increase that function by allowing them more migratory capacity.
So ME/CFS patients could have the opposite problem, i.e., high microglial migration due to a leaky BBB?

Aurator

There's an article here about a new drug called aducanumab, which is claimed to be able to reverse the build-up of amyloid plaques. Having a close relative with fairly advanced Alzheimer's means I generally keep abreast of these sorts of news items.

adreno

PR activist
I think the point is the microglia have limitations on their function, and this technique is claimed to increase that function by allowing them more migratory capacity.
Long-term stress as well as physiological aging result in similar immunological and hormonal disturbances including hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal) axis depletion, aberrant immune response (regulatory T-cells, Tregs, and T(h17)-lymphocyte accumulation) and decreased dehydroepiandrosterone synthesis both in the brain and in the adrenal glands. Since the main mechanisms of inflammation control, "prompt" (stress hormones) and "delayed" (Tregs), are broken, serum cytokine levels increase and become sufficient for blood-brain-barrier disruption. As a result peripheral cytokines penetrate into the brain where they begin to perform new functions. Structural and functional alterations of blood-brain-barrier as well as stress- (or age-) induced neuroinflammation promote influx of bone marrow derived dendritic cells and lymphocyte effectors into the brain parenchyma. Thereafter, mass intrusion of pro-inflammatory mediators and immune cells having a lot of specific targets alters the brain work that we can observe both in humans and in animal experiments.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25563002

Last edited: