1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

new Alan Light paper... alpa-2a, glutocorticoid implication

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by voner, Oct 8, 2013.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I understand that it is a muscarine receptor. My immunemodulator acts on the a7 nicotine receptor.

As B1 cells pump out large amounts of none specific anitbodies there could be some that can bind to acetylcholine receptors.

Then there is less acetylcholine release and receptors blocked by antibodies.

2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    That and a million other things (as is usual in biological systems). It's all speculation from here on out.

The first question that comes to mind is whether the increased Alpha-2A receptor expression is serving a positive response or not. But the only way you'd really find out is by using an antagonist and associating a reduced Alpha-2A receptor function with reduced post-exertion severity.

3. voner

voner Senior Member

Thanks. I'm sure this is much much more complex and we should use caution in individual interpretation of these receptor studies. I wrote a blog about a presentation given by Dr. Bateman in Denver this summer where she discussed the various results of earlier studies by Dr. Light. She showed slides for individual patients and it became pretty apparent that patient to patient the responses of these receptors after exercise varied immensely. While most of the patients (with ME/cfs and fibromyalgia and NO orthostatic intolerance) had a similar response of increased alpha-2a receptor expression, there was a subset of patients with ME/cfs and fibromyalgia AND orthostatic intolerance who had a decrease in alpha-2a receptor expression.

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...yndrome-subset-if-doctors-will-just-look-for/

The impression given was that this decrease in the alpha-2a receptor receptor expression was correlated with orthostatic intolerance. I remember she said that the patients averaged a increase in heart rate upon standing of 28 beats per minute, thus she was forced to not call it POTS, rather "orthostatic intolerance", although she indicated clinically and symptomatically it was all the same.

I suspect the doctor Light group is also trying to ferret out what is evidence of pain pathways being activated and what is the evidence of fatigue pathways being involved, if any.

Valentijn and MeSci like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Safer to use electronic cigarettes, I would think, and you can control the nicotine hit better with them.

5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    From a quick look I didn't see anything about control groups in this paper. Also, it says
    so a minority, and would it be different from control groups?

6. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I've been using the most potent antagonist, Yohimbe, and thus far it seems like it's reducing PEM. But I haven't really tried to provoke an episode, aside from a 10 hour flight + airport time (with wheelchairs).

7. voner

voner Senior Member

@Valentijn ..... How has your Yohimbe trial turn out? I would love an update...

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Still generally helpful, but doesn't prevent my episodes where I end up bedbound for a week or three due to intense OI. I had a couple of those happen a while ago, and had hoped that the Yohimbe was keeping them away! Still, I definitely do a lot better with the Yohimbe.

9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Valentijn, NK17 and MeSci like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I doubt it. However over-expression might set in motion feedback effects leading to other problems.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.