1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Advocates’ Letter to Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Regarding IOM Contract Open For Signatures

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by slayadragon, Dec 16, 2013.

1. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    http://paradigmchange.me/wp/?p=327

This blog describes a new letter from ME/CFS advocates to be sent to Secretary Sebelius, once again asking that the IOM involvement be dropped and the Canadian Consensus Criteria be adopted as the definition for the disease.The same text will be on Jeannette Burmeister's blog, "Thoughts about M.E."Please consider signing!

>We again request that the IOM contract be cancelled and that the government adopt the Canadian Consensus Criteria as the definition for this disease.

>In addition, we request that the government increase the budget for biomedical research into this disease to become more equitable with the budgets for other diseases with a similar level of prevalence and severity. For instance, NIH spends more than 600 times as much on HIV/AIDS as it does on ME/CFS (with a 2014 budget of $3.1 billion for HIV/AIDS vs. a trivial $5 million for ME/CFS). Considering that the number of U.S. patients living with ME/CFS (1 million) is roughly the same as the number of people in this country living with HIV, and considering that the level of suffering endured by many ME/CFS patients is equal to that experienced by untreated AIDS patients prior to their deaths, ME/CFS is woefully underfunded. This needs to be rectified immediately.

>Finally, we request that the government consistently refer to this disease by its proper name, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
    justinreilly and Ren like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Just sent the following email:

I would like to sign the new letter.

Name Mr. Alex Young

Degree, School Bachelor of Informatics, 1st Class Honours, Griffith University, Nathan, Queensland, Australia, 1992
    Bachelor of Science, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Queensland, Australia, 2002.

Former Job (age or year disabled) Partially disabled 1987, possibly sick from 1968 (undiagnosed). Last jobs: casual university lecturer and computer science tutor, 1995.

Advocacy Position (or “Patient Advocate”) Patient Advocate, blogger.
    justinreilly, Ren and slayadragon like this.
  3. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Great letter; signed up and sent out emails to other advocates.
    Nielk and alex3619 like this.
  4. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Have these advocates noticed that the Canadian Consensus Criteria is an ME/CFS definition?

See more popular forum discussions.