• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Never Bet Against Occam: Mast Cell Activation Disease and the Modern Epidemics of Chronic Illness an

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
@justy , I didn't have to put any money up front for the appointment. Nobody asked me for any money. I do have American insurance which they will take.

Lynn
This is for international patients only. How was the appointment? are you happy to tell us about it?

Gingergrrl

The appointment isn't until May 2017. He is booking over a year out.

Lynn

So if you book an appt with US health insurance, there is no fee? You just get given a date for mid 2017? I was also curious if he does Skype or phone appts?

He did a phone consult with my doctor re: my case last summer but it was just between them while I was in the hospital due to MCAS and I was not on the call (as much as I wish I had been!)

The idea he proposed was able to be implemented in the hospital but was something none of us had thought of. It was not sustainable long term but got me through the immediate crisis so I could eat food without ANA.

I have a local MCAS doc who is very good but would love to see how Dr. Afrin conceptualizes my entire case and if new info that I have learned could be related in his mind.

Lynn

So if you book an appt with US health insurance, there is no fee? You just get given a date for mid 2017? I was also curious if he does Skype or phone appts?

He did a phone consult with my doctor re: my case last summer but it was just between them while I was in the hospital due to MCAS and I was not on the call (as much as I wish I had been!)

The idea he proposed was able to be implemented in the hospital but was something none of us had thought of. It was not sustainable long term but got me through the immediate crisis so I could eat food without ANA.

I have a local MCAS doc who is very good but would love to see how Dr. Afrin conceptualizes my entire case and if new info that I have learned could be related in his mind.

Hi @Gingergrrl,
I believe if they accept your type of insurance (I have Blue Cross MN), you would still have to pay the co-payments and other stuff like deductibles according to your policy.

I don't know if he does Skype or phone appointments. I asked if Dr. Afrin was working with someone else to get in sooner. He is not.

I would love for him to consult with my GP. I don't think she has any inkling of MCAS though. How do you find a local Dr. who understands MCAS?

Lynn

Gingergrrl

Hi @Gingergrrl, I believe if they accept your type of insurance (I have Blue Cross MN), you would still have to pay the co-payments and other stuff like deductibles according to your policy.

@Lynn I think I probably didn't make sense in what I was asking earlier and definitely would be expecting to pay co-pays or even full price if he does not accept my insurance. I was just curious if there was any kind of fee that you had to pay to reserve a spot if you were not an overseas patient and had some form of US insurance (and from re-reading, it sounds like there isn't.) If this is the case, after I read the book, I want to inquire about Skype and phone appts.

I don't know if he does Skype or phone appointments. I asked if Dr. Afrin was working with someone else to get in sooner. He is not.

I figured he did not have anyone else working with him and even if he did, I would want my consult with him directly vs. a PA or someone he is training.

I would love for him to consult with my GP. I don't think she has any inkling of MCAS though. How do you find a local Dr. who understands MCAS?

I have a local MCAS doc since last July but I know this is rare. I am very happy with him but would still love to consult with Afrin and see what ideas he has for me that I could discuss with my local doc. I get the sense he has a lot of new research and ideas but will know more once I read the book.

Gingergrrl

I forgot one more question:

For anyone who has already read the book, does Dr. Afrin discuss IVIG? Either if it has helped any of his MCAS patients or if he has had any MCAS patients do it for other autoimmune conditions and have bad reactions b/c of the MCAS? Does he discuss what he feels are the best pre-meds for IVIG in someone with MCAS?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Gingergrrl

The book is absolutely awesome - you will love it. It is easy to read, although a little large for bedbound patients to hold.

@justy, my book arrived today and you were not kidding that this is one gigantic book!!! It is heavier than a brick and I cannot even lift it but will figure out a way to read it no matter what.