1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    I know I get hungry because I can hear my stomach growling but I can't feel it. Nerve damage maybe? I am rarely hungry at breakfast or lunch. I force myself to eat a coconut flour muffin in the morning and a salad with lots of mixed greens for lunch. The greens make me feel so much better. They seem to help with pain. By supper time, sometimes I am hungry and sometimes I am not. It got extreme for awhile and I lost 35 pounds recently. I started a Ketogenic like fibromyalgia diet recently (low carb with lots of veggies) and suddenly I also got some of my appetite back. I don't understand it, but it is nice to actually want to eat. When I am not hungry, unfortunately, I still crave chocolate and when I eat it there is so much pain. I think the chocolate is an addiction rather than satisfying hunger.

I wonder why cutting back on carbs seems to help?

I know it also has to do with food not moving through my digestive system fast enough. I was given some Amitiza recently and it helps a little. However, I am not sure I would recommend it. Because of the nerve problems, it is hard to feel when I need to go to the bathroom and I end up having to run to the bathroom at the last minute. It does work some if a person is in very desperate need of a solution to slow digestion.

2. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Having been on several sides of this coin... I do think that's a factor as well. But it feels differently.

To me, I can have a 'not hungry enough to use my last spoon' ... it's not that I'm not hungry. It's that it's just not worth the effort to do anything about it, yet. Once you get hungry enough, you start getting desparate and if you don't have someone to help, you break down and eat food that isn't as good for you. I'm guilty enough that this happens more often than I would like. And it does concern me when I feed my ten year old junk food because I'm too tired to actually cook. But junk food is better than no food when there just is no other choice.

That said, I'm on ibuprofen right now... and I have no appetitie at all. I'm just not hungry. I try to eat every two hours - but can go ten hours without really thinking about food. AND when I do think about it, it's more along the lines of my head telling me I've missed three meal times and going to bed without eating isn't likely to go well - instead of my stomach reminding me to put something in it.

My issue is that when I have no appetite, I start thinking about food. Food that I like, nutritious or not... and even simple grab and go food - like this morning - I have a gf/df muffin sitting beside me right now that is really yummy. But I have to actually force myself to eat it because thinking about eating it just turns my stomach. It actually tastes good, but my body isn't willing to eat it because my head tells me I don't want it.

Funny enough, keeping my stomach full while on ibuprofen helps reduce the issue of stomach upset. So, I know I need to eat if I take them otherwise I'll get nauseous. But it's actually a burden to eat. My body just isn't sending me any positive signals that eating is a good thing right now.

Those are two very different experiences. I'm giving the ibuprofen another hour and if it really isn't going to help my pain more than it is right now, it's not worth taking it.

Jody likes this.
  3. whodathunkit

whodathunkit Senior Member

It's crucial to have food in the stomach when taking any kind of NSAID. They can really wreck your stomach. I actually date my digestive problems back to when I was taking lots of prescription-strength ibuprofen for really bad pain during my monthlies. I didn't know what NSAIDS could do to your stomach at the time so I would take them on an empty stomach thinking that was best to help them be effective. Damn near ate a hole in my stomach before I figured out what was going on. I actually thought I was developing an ulcer until I figured out it was the ibuprofen.

My stomach has never been quite the same since. It's much more sensitive than it was before that.

rosie26, Little Bluestem and Jody like this.
  4. apogan

apogan

Have your zinc levels checked. I used to have this problem (for years) and finally connected to very low levels of zinc. When I added zinc my appetite returned.

Jody likes this.
  5. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Actually, NSAIDs (including aspirin) don't directly burn your stomach. They inhibit the protective prostaglandins that prevent damage from stomach acid. That's why the Cox-2 inhibitors, which cause less prostaglandin inhibition, are safer for the GI tract, albeit more expensive and largely unavailable in the US (only Celebrex is left and it is wimpy!). However, having an empty stomach and no protection against stomach acid will increase your likelihood of trouble. Personally, I need to take a proton pump inhibitor (omeprazole, lansoprazole or relative) or I get gastritis or ulcers with my ibuprofen. But I need my ibuprofen. It's a delicate balance.

6. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Anybody who finds that they cannot digest the food they eat, that is it sits in the stomach for a long time, would probably benefit from good digestive enzymes and also betaine hydrochloride. Because of the lack of energy and ATP it means we cannot digest our food properly so that is why we benefit from these two, they will do the work for us.

Also once over the age of 50 it is common for people to have low stomach acid anyway but the medical profession give them acid blockers causing even more serious problems. As is so often the case the doctors don't get to the route of the cause but give drugs which are the opposite of what is really needed.

Furthermore when there are adrenal and thyroid issues which aren't addressed it is almost certain that there will be low stomach acid and with ME/CFS where there is hypo function of the HPA axis I would think that the vast majority of sufferers as they get older would have this problem.

Low stomach acid will also mean that bugs aren't destroyed in the gut as they should be so it can be very important to look out for this.

Pam

Jody likes this.
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I agree with someone else that for many of us its part of sickness behaviour, when someone has a virus (or virus reactivation) one often doesnt feel like eatting. (Im not refering here in the difficulty in cooking which is another factor too but having no appetite for something at all and possibly not even wanting to eat when another is going to get it for you).

I think I read somewhere that the autonomic nervous system plays a part in appetite too.

I find it hard to eat (I dont "feel" like eatting) in the mornings. I often have my first meal of the day around 2-3pm (brunch). My friend gets quite annoyed at me as it does noticably affect my mood when I havent eatten and he can always tell (He will often coach me into eatting). Im also often feeling weaker too due to this. Its still hard to eat at a decent time even knowing these things.

Once I do thou get to the point where Im finally wanting to eat (sometimes the smell of something very nice can set it off if another gets me something). Im suddenly ravously hungry.. and will binge if Im not careful.

Jody likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas

Ontario
    Remeron did wonders for my poor appetite and associated gastroparesis. Not normal appetite but very very close sometimes.

Jody likes this.
  9. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry but I have the OPPOSITE problem!

if I don't eat, my stomach hurts
    I feel weak so I want to eat for energy
    I "comfort eat" because I am depressed and often unable to do much to take my mind sufficiently off things

I was poisoned as a little kid, so after years of being extremely thin because of stomach problems, I learned how to control my puke reflex and asshole, to put it bluntly :/
    After that it took something extraordinary to make me puke or lose my appetite etc

Though I have to say, having Norovirus and ME at the same time has only ever been exceeded in awfulness by kidney stones, in my experience. O M F G.... o_O :eek::wide-eyed: :ill: :confused:
    At least when I had meningitis I was completely out of it, for several days, by merciful comparison :p

So I would caution that there are exceptions to rules as we're all different :)

then again I am on testosterone, maybe that had an effect on +appetite?

10. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    1st 3 posts after the 1st post should of ended this discussion..

The RIGHT kind of Foods make me feel half decent

for half an hour that is...........

What you crave is what you eat

Listen to your visceral

after all

your tummy is where this feeling of self awareness originates..........

If you crave sugar
    Suck on some
    Hard candy, Vitamin C/throat/cough or dry mouth drops always makes me feel better....
    This is a constant SMALL supply of sugar(tricking our message center/immune dysfunction)......

And no I'm not diabetic.....

If you crave salt(low blood volume)

Prepare a couple soft pretzels with lots of SEA salt

And lots of fresh ozone generated water (if available) to wash it all down........

Digestive problems

Fresh ozone generated water

Eat berries berries berries and more berries,EVERYDAY..

These are just my opinions of course..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  11. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I am never hungry. It's rare. Especially after last few years that I've been more ill. Fibro worse, fatigue worse=no appetite. I used to preach....EAT BREAKFAST. Most important meal of day. I wake up and could go for hours without eating. I usually make a protein drink. Then I have nuts or a slice of bacon...that's it.

I skip lunch normally. Awful, I know. I have no appetite.

I force dinner and am hungrier for it.

I always wonder what happened? I eat fruit, rice chips, veggies raw with hummus but big meals are not as important anymore.

I want my hunger back. I miss it.

12. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Am hungry all the time!!!

13. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I'm almost never hungry. That is why I am still up. The meal I planned to eat at 12:30 somehow didn't happen until 2. Then I had to wait to take the pills I take on an empty stomach. Now I am waiting to have my bedtime snack.

14. mtnbibliophile

mtnbibliophile

Not only am I rarely hungry, I am never THIRSTY, and my dehydration can get pretty bad before I realize why I'm feeling so terrible. For the times when I realize I've gone too long without food and don't have enough energy to go to the kitchen or prepare any food, I keep organic peanut butter and whole wheat crackers within arm's reach. And I always have a bottle of Gatorade within reach. My "working memory" is too far gone for me to remember that I have to eat regularly - in fact, the thought that I have to eat might occur to me but vanish before I've had a chance to do anything about it) - so I got one of those pill reminder clocks with four alarms per day. It helps, as long as I don't turn off the alarm and then forget to do whatever it was reminding me to do.

15. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

My hunger increased since I developed CFS - A LOT. I need to be full all the time it seems and when sickest, will awaken at night to eat. Even if I stull myself before bed, I will sometimes still get intense hunger a few hours later, albeit coupled with a little nausea...hard to explain.

I think there is some hormone problems causing me to never feel full. I tend to overeat compulsively and then regret.

There is also definitely some insulin resistance going on.

While on antibiotics, my hunger will start to normalize again.

16. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I don't think my appetite has increased since being sick, but it has not abated.

GG

See more popular forum discussions.