• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurotransmitters

Pea

Does anybody have a chart that explain how the neurotransmitters interrelated? There are excitatory and inhibitory, correct?

I read elsewhere here and on Wiki that GABA can be either. If you are giving it to somebody for which you want it to get rid of glutamate, but GABA becomes excitatory, isn't that bad?

I didn't know histimine was an excitatory.

Is Dopamine excitatory or inhibitory? How do you increase dopamine without increasing the 'eprhines too much?

Which neurotransmitters affect the other ones?

adreno

PR activist
How neurotransmitters interact is incredibly complex. You could spend a lifetime studying just that.

I've found Stahls Essential Psychopharmacology a good read for beginners.

It's called histamine btw, not histimine. And yes, it is exicitatory. Exicitatory neurotransmitters aren't bad, they just need to be balanced with the inhibitory ones.

.I read elsewhere here and on Wiki that GABA can be either. If you are giving it to somebody for which you want it to get rid of glutamate, but GABA becomes excitatory, isn't that bad?

I didn't know histimine was an excitatory.

Hi Pea,
It looks like you got some good references for the science behind neurotransmitters. I will add my two cents from personal experience. When I really needed GABA due to agitation from excitoxicity, it was helpful. Once I filled my GABA tank (I took it for about 10 days), it caused weird psychodelic dreams. In terms of histamine, I had frequent increases in the beginning of the protocol. These increases ALWAYS went hand in hand with feelings of being wired.

therron