New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neurotransmitter in blood, saliva or urine?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by NotThisGuy, Sep 3, 2017.

1. NotThisGuy

NotThisGuy Senior Member

Germany
    Hi,
    which test is more accurate for neurotransmitters?
    Blood, saliva or urine?

@Valentijn or someone, like to hear your opinions.

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    According to Drs Weil and Perlmutter urine tests are the best for neurotransmitters. Saliva tests aren't accurate. Blood testing is good for checking hormones.

ChrisD, keenly and NotThisGuy like this.
  3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    None of them mean much. Neurotransmitters exist in separate compartments - the blood brain barrier keeps the brain pool quite separate from that of the peripheral nervous system for example. What you see in the blood doesn't reflect the brain while the urine reflects yet another compartment which is influenced by metabolism in the kidneys.

Here for example is a review which looks at the validity of serotonin and dopamine measurements in urine and concludes they are not valid (apart from well defined conditions like phaeochromocytoma).

If you search for studies on other neurotransmitters you will find similar problems.

Little Bluestem and NotThisGuy like this.

See more popular forum discussions.