May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

neurotoxicity of XMRV class viruses

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Gerwyn, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

The following comes from a paper examining the neurotoxicity of XMRV class viruses

This is the same family as XMRV

T
    These infect mice and a few other species

This is the XPRI receptor that cells must express before xmrv can infect a host

The XMRV1 receptors have a different shape in some mammalian species compared to others.IXMRV will infect some mammals more readily than others>in some a small initiall exposure will lead to significant infection and in others it will take a much larger exposure or direct blood contact for example.

These are the mouse specific ones

T
    This what a polytropic Mulv can do

This is very similar to the "birth" of XMRV which is polytropic in its host range of infection

Immunol Res (2009) 43:149–159

Innate immunity in the pathogenesis of polytropic
    retrovirus infection in the central nervous system
    Karin E. Peterson Min Du
    Published

2. fingers

fingers Senior Member

SW Endland
    ....and this means.....

Gerwyn

I can't help feeling that all that is very significant, but I'm XMRV'd if I can understand it.

Any chance you could precis it for the slow people like me here?

Many thanks

Steve

3. lostinthedesert

lostinthedesert Killer, Clown, Priestess

Thanks for this. I am still processing. Have you found any mention of viral or viral protein interaction with the trpv1 vanilloid receptor implicated in mcs? thanks again, S

4. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    i'm with Fingers, when i see stuff like this i wait for ya'll to trasnlate it to English for us - hahaha! ;)

5. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

Hi Gerwyn, one of the CROI presenters was saying that there must be another common receptor that XMRV utilises in the absence (or alongside) XPR1. They found XMRV infected cells that do not express XPR1. They are searching for the other/s co-receptors as we speak. My bet is on CCRs, esp CCR2.

6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

ps also check Peterson et al 2006 paper "Increased proinflammatory cytokine and chemokine responses and microglial infection following inoculation with neural stem cells infected with polytropic murine retroviruses"

7. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Natasa, is this paper online? If not, would it be possible to add this to the library. Not that I would be able to understand but I would still like to take a look at it. Very interesting.

8. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    I apologize, I just realized it was Gerwyn that posted this. Well... you both are part of the United Kingdom.

9. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Hi Fingers

XMRV is a MULV class virus

XMRV although described as xenotrophic (cant infect mice but can infect certain other species).It behaves as if it is polytrophic(infects mice and every other species with a certain type of cellular receptor(XPR1)

Polytophic MuLVs are directly neurotoxic and cause the same range of neurocognitive symptoms that are reported in patients with ME/cfs (described in the paper as encephalopathy)

is that Ok
    all the best

Gerwyn

P.S for future reference would a summary at the start like take home messages be helpful?

10. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    Gerwyn,

Thanks as usual for your continued research findings. In answer to your question regarding a summary or "take home messages"... I think that is an absolute YES!

I've directed many people to this site because of its exceptional content but many are intimidated by the level of some of the discussions. CFS/ME hits a broad spectrum of people and not all can understand or discuss topics at your level!

Just like there's an abstract at the beginning of most research articles I've seen, perhaps something similar would be helpful....just a distillation of they key points.

Thanks again for all you do!

~ JT

11. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

If only I was a mouse, I would understand it better :eek:

12. lululowry

lululowry Senior Member

Athens, Georgia
    Thank you Gerwyn for the summary! And YES, it would really, really help to have similar summaries included with research articles for those of us who aren't as scientifically literate.

13. helsbells

helsbells Senior Member

UK
    Thank-you so much for your vigilance!

See more popular forum discussions.