• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroscience News: Vitamin D Deficiency Increases Chronic Headache Risk

AndyPR

Vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk of chronic headache, according to a new study from the University of Eastern Finland. The findings were published in Scientific Reports.

The Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study, KIHD, analysed the serum vitamin D levels and occurrence of headache in approximately 2,600 men aged between 42 and 60 years in 1984-1989. In 68% of these men, the serum vitamin D level was below 50 nmol/l, which is generally considered the threshold for vitamin D deficiency. Chronic headache occurring at least on a weekly basis was reported by 250 men, and men reporting chronic headache had lower serum vitamin D levels than others.

When the study population was divided into four groups based on their serum vitamin D levels, the group with the lowest levels had over a twofold risk of chronic headache in comparison to the group with the highest levels. Chronic headache was also more frequently reported by men who were examined outside the summer months of June through September. Thanks to UVB radiation from the sun, the average serum vitamin D levels are higher during the summer months.

http://neurosciencenews.com/chronic-headache-vitamin-d-5859/

Direct link to paper http://www.nature.com/articles/srep39697

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Blood tests showed I had a vitamin D deficiency 6 months ago. Since then I've been taking a vitamin D supplement every morning (the only supplement I take), and just this week I had my blood tested again which showed my vitamin D is now in the range it should be. In the same period days lost to headaches per month have gone down from 10 per month to 2-5 per month, headaches are milder now and are usually gone by mid-afternoon, previously they would last 2 days.