Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neuropathic Pain Therapy: Evidence-Based Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by MeSci, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    This paper isn't specifically relevant to M.E. patients, but hopefully has some useful info. It's from February, but I couldn't find it here.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @MeSci I cant read this (blurry vision right now).That Capsaicin and tricyclics only were 50% effective?

I had an epiphany over the weekend when I took some phenibut to sleep and the next day, besides being pleasantly high, I was in a good mood and had no pain until the middle of the afternoon when I started to come down.

I've had intermittent relief with Kava and Baclofen. Not much help with Trazodone. Lyrica and Gabapentin cause weight gain if I even think about them so they are out.

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Phenibut sounds nice!

I hadn't actually read the paper - just posted it for the interest of pwME who get neuropathic pain (I don't).

I find the method of assessing efficacy a bit confusing actually, but it seems to be saying that 10.6 people have to be treated with capsaicin high-concentration patches to achieve 50% pain relief, and fewer need to be treated with tricyclics for equal effect, but the abstract doesn't state how many, and I don't have access to the full text.

minkeygirl likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @MeSci thanks for translating. I gleaned there wasn't anything new but only picked up a few words here and there

Phenibut is awesome but it's just as addictive if not more than benzos so you can only take it 2-3 times a week max.

I save it for sleep if I've been struggling for a few days.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.