Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neuropathic Pain Therapy: Evidence-Based Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by MeSci, Jan 4, 2016.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    This paper isn't specifically relevant to M.E. patients, but hopefully has some useful info. It's from February, but I couldn't find it here.

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @MeSci I cant read this (blurry vision right now).That Capsaicin and tricyclics only were 50% effective?

I had an epiphany over the weekend when I took some phenibut to sleep and the next day, besides being pleasantly high, I was in a good mood and had no pain until the middle of the afternoon when I started to come down.

I've had intermittent relief with Kava and Baclofen. Not much help with Trazodone. Lyrica and Gabapentin cause weight gain if I even think about them so they are out.

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Phenibut sounds nice!

I hadn't actually read the paper - just posted it for the interest of pwME who get neuropathic pain (I don't).

I find the method of assessing efficacy a bit confusing actually, but it seems to be saying that 10.6 people have to be treated with capsaicin high-concentration patches to achieve 50% pain relief, and fewer need to be treated with tricyclics for equal effect, but the abstract doesn't state how many, and I don't have access to the full text.

minkeygirl likes this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @MeSci thanks for translating. I gleaned there wasn't anything new but only picked up a few words here and there

Phenibut is awesome but it's just as addictive if not more than benzos so you can only take it 2-3 times a week max.

I save it for sleep if I've been struggling for a few days.

MeSci likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.