• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroma surgery anyone?

fawkes

Yesterday's gone.
I've had troublesome foot neuromas most of 20 years, and both CFS/ME and fibromyalgia. Living in another city, my various medical providers understood and believed me and each other. Initlal treatment was successful and life-changing, until the neuromas recurred, as they tend to do. In a new (faraway) city now, the neuromas are so bad that I see surgery as the only option (other than taking an ax to my feet or taking the maximum dose of tramadol or other pain reliever [going back on morphine] around the clock forever). Two podiatrists I've seen here really don't want to operate, one saying it will only set in motion a series of surgeries that I'd regret ever having started, and the other seemingly terrified that the fibromyalgia makes me more likely to have complications such as regional pain syndrome (totally different from fibromyalgia so far as I've read about it). I have met one woman with fibromyalgia who had both feet operated on at separate times and in separate cities and said it was the best thing she'd ever been able to do for herself pain-wise. I will be seeing a physician/surgeon specializing in the foot and ankle next week. If you've done it yourself, especially if you are glad to have done it, I'd love to have your experience to share anecdotally if I continue to meet resistance in what I see at this point as very close to a can't-get-any-worse situation. (Of course I am insisting on local anesthesia.) Thanks in advance . . .