Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neuroinflammation v 'increased central immune signalling'

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Marco, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    While this paper primarily relates to the influence of the immune system in major depressive disorder it also proposes the more general need to distinguish between 'neuroinflammation' associated with diseases such as Alzheimers' and Parkinsons where there is progressive and irreversible damage to the CNS and lower level immune activation which may be transitory and reversible.

They suggest that making this distinction should avoid confusion as to what exactly 'neuroinflammation' means.

Hopefully if central immune activation plays a role in ME/CFS it's the latter type :

Toll-like receptor 4: innate immune regulator of neuroimmune and neuroendocrine interactions in stress and major depressive disorder

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnins.2014.00309/full

rosie26, leokitten, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Interesting. Those who think taking microglial inhibitors for ME/CFS is a good idea should take note of these findings.

Marco, Valentijn, JPV and 1 other person like this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Only had a quick read but suprised memantine wasnt mentioned in treatments like ssri and snri.
    memantine is used in Parkinsons as it protects dopamine receptors , possibly through its nmda antagonist effects. I think it may also reduce TNFa. Been some research showing it can help some fibro patients ?

interesting to read cox2 inhibitors show anti neuro inflammatory effects .

I wonder if a combination of drugs eg snri, memantine and celebrex etc etc depending on if
    One can tolerate them, could help with the neuro-immune inflammation in cfsme? Im sure theres more meds with anti neuro/immune inflammatory effects.

4. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

heapsreal likes this.
  5. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    This exerpt outlines a very familiar scenario (my bold) :

Sidereal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.