• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroinflammation in the Brain of Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

pattismith

"In our study using PET scanning, hypoperfusion and low synthesis in the frontal lobe, cingulate gyrus, temporal and occipital cortex, basal ganglia, hippocampus"

Interestingly Cingulate gyrus was also a place with hypometabolism found in 50% of the ME patients in this 2003 study

I also found that Cingulate cortex (Cingulate Gyrus is the main part of the Cingulate Cortex) is affected with hypometabolism in hypothyroidism in this study:

"Thyroid hormone replacement therapy abolished pretreatment group differences in regional activity, robustly increased activity in the ventral ACC (cingulate cortex), and significantly reduced both clinician-rated and self-rated behavioral and psychiatric symptoms.
Increased activity within the ventral ACC was associated with reduced somatic complaints, whereas increased activity within the dorsal ACC was associated with reduced depressive symptoms."