1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neurohumoral and haemodynamic profile in postural tachycardia and CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by ahimsa, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    [Has this been posted already? I didn't find it when I did a forum search but might have missed it.]

Neurohumoral and haemodynamic profile in postural tachycardia and chronic fatigue syndromes

Luis E. Okamoto, Satish R. Raj, Amanda Peltier, Alfredo Gamboa, Cyndya Shibao, Andr Diedrich, Bonnie K. Black, David Robertson, and Italo Biaggioni

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3203411/

Abstract

Several studies recognized an overlap between CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) and POTS (postural tachycardia syndrome).

We compared the autonomic and neurohormonal phenotype of POTS patients with CFS (CFSPOTS) to those without CFS (non-CFSPOTS), to determine whether CFSPOTS represents a unique clinical entity with a distinct pathophysiology.

We recruited 58 patients with POTS, of which 47 were eligible to participate.

A total of 93% of them reported severe fatigue [CIS (Checklist of Individual Strength), fatigue subscale >36], and 64% (n=30) fulfilled criteria for CFS (CFSPOTS).

The prevalence of CFS symptoms (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria) was greater in the CFSPOTS group, but the pattern of symptoms was similar in both groups.

Physical functioning was low in both groups (RAND-36 Health Survey, 404 compared with 333; P=0.153), despite more severe fatigue in CFSPOTS patients (CIS fatigue subscale 511 compared with 433; P=0.016).

CFSPOTS patients had greater orthostatic tachycardia than the non-CFSPOTS group (513 compared with 404 beats/min; P=0.030), greater low-frequency variability of BP (blood pressure; 6.30.7 compared with 4.81.0 mmHg2; P=0.019), greater BP recovery from early to late phase II of the Valsalva manoeuvre (183 compared with 112 mmHg; P=0.041) and a higher supine (1.50.2 compared with 1.00.3 ng/ml perh; P=0.033) and upright (5.40.6 compared with 3.50.8 ng/ml per h; P=0.032) PRA (plasma renin activity).

In conclusion, fatigue and CFS-defining symptoms are common in POTS patients.

The majority of them met criteria for CFS. CFSPOTS patients have higher markers of sympathetic activation, but are part of the spectrum of POTS.

Targeting this sympathetic activation should be considered in the treatment of these patients.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks, I've not seen that posted before.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    thanks from me too.. I hadnt seen this before either
  4. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

This is basically arguing that those with CFS and POTS are indistinguishable from those with just POTS. Many patients who have only been diagnosed with POTS report periodic innate immune system activation and thus flu like symptoms.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    There's a distinction between periodic flu-like symptoms and post-exertional malaise. Such as a direct connection between exertion and getting extremely sick afterward.

See more popular forum discussions.