The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neurobiological studies of fatigue

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by JaimeS, May 25, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    I'm finding this interesting, even though it's not directly related to ME/CFS:

Neurobiological studies of fatigue

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3479364/

Abstract
    Fatigue is a symptom associated with many disorders, is especially common in women and in older adults, and can have a huge negative influence on quality of life. Although most past research on fatigue uses human subjects instead of animal models, the use of appropriate animal models has recently begun to advance our understanding of the neurobiology of fatigue. In this review, results from animal models using immunological, developmental, or physical approaches to study fatigue are described and compared. Common across these animal models is that fatigue arises when a stimulus induces activation of microglia and/or increased cytokines and chemokines in the brain. Neurobiological studies implicate structures in the ascending arousal system, sleep executive control areas, and areas important in reward. In addition, the suprachiasmatic nucleus clearly plays an important role in homeostatic regulation of the neural network mediating fatigue. This nucleus responds to cytokines, shows decreased amplitude firing rate output in models of fatigue, and responds to exercise, one of our few treatments for fatigue. This is a young field but very important as the symptom of fatigue is common across many disorders and we do not have effective treatments.

Keywords: fatigue, cytokine, suprachiasmatic, circadian, animal model

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Tunguska, Barry53, Mel9 and 1 other person like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

You cannot escape the CBT...!

ahmo, Webdog, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Then they discuss an IL1-B model of fatigue...

Yes, I've heard that viral infection can prime LPS responses. It's of note that people seem more likely to contract ME/CFS post herpesvirus infection as per IOM Report analyses.

ljimbo423 and merylg like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Well, so any way at all. ;)

Then they discuss endocannabanoids and dopamine.

And then discuss how cytokines interact with the HPA axis:

5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mel9 likes this.
  6. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    That's really interesting, that the TNFa in the brain, stayed increased for 10 months after one injection.

LPS can also cause an increase in B cell activation and either a TH-1 or TH-2 polarization, depending on weather the dose of LPS is high or low. LINK

JaimeS likes this.
  7. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    I have no idea what any of this means but I am encouraged that fatigue is being studied. Thank you for posting.

JaimeS likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.