Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NetDoctor - New article on ME/CFS (UK)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Jan 22, 2017.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

New article on ME/CFS on NetDoctor (UK) >>

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/healthy-...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Just in case this isn't clear:

The MEA did not write this article

As happens on a very regular basis, we are asked to supply basic information on ME/CFS by a journalist or health writer - which we do

On some occasions we are then asked to check what the journalist has written after proving background information, case histories etc

But in most cases we do all we can to help but have little or no control over what is then published

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Woolie, JaimeS, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Well, I think it's obvious the bits that remain true to the MEAs input and those which the journalist added.
    :bang-head: Most notably to whom? (or who, I can never figure that out...). All we need, a Crawley fatigue circus act, touted as the best thing to happen for ME recently.

Then you've got the typical snoozy models in the pictures in the article, and the "helpful" related articles "7 Natural Ways to boost your energy" and "The healthiest resolutions you can make this year".

Comments can't be left on the article but could be left on their Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/netdoctoruk/posts/1618799668147092

Woolie, Mel9, Cornishbird and 4 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Thanks, I had a good laugh.

4. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    It is funny, but it's also disgraceful. We've said it before, but if a broadcaster made a claim like that for a drug, when the 'evidence' was such nonsense, there would be hell to pay.

5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Mel9, JaimeS, Invisible Woman and 4 others like this.
  6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Done, and added a couple more links (Jen Brea's Ted Talk, and Komaroff webinar)

slysaint, Mel9, JaimeS and 4 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

After being given bad advice from doctors and getting worse, this patient is coming to terms with reality and surprisingly feels better emotionally. Would the outcome have been better if reality-based medicine had been practiced? We don't know but it would probably at least saved this patient from unnecessary disappointment.

It's not a matter of individual differences. CBT simply doesn't work. The research shows this as well, but the authors distort the results and claim it works. Which leads to stories like the above, where patients are asked to achieve the impossible.

Woolie, Zombie_Lurker, Mel9 and 6 others like this.
  8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    I left a comment as well. How do UK journalists not notice that they cite White, Chalder, Wessley over... and over... and over again. Surely these three scientists who work together can't represent the only view of an illness. It's maddening because it's Just. So. Lazy.

slysaint, Valentijn, Woolie and 7 others like this.
  9. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    I hope I didn't come across as too snippy. They did their best to represent the patient's perspective, but they LED with the "online CBT is so exciting!"

Woolie, Mel9, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  10. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Excellent comment, @JaimeS ...

Though I'm not sure how much traffic their facebook page gets. It says it has 66,000 followers, but other posts seem to have no comments and very few likes.

JaimeS, Mel9 and AndyPR like this.
  11. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    and they should know. after all, they carry things like this article in today's Guardian which spells out a lot of the problem:

full article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/20/science-victim-crisis-narcissism-academia

Personally, I think a big part of the problem here in the UK is that most 'science correspondents' have little or zero scientific knowledge. They can't read the papers, only the press releases.

slysaint, Valentijn, Woolie and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Remind you of anybody?

:whistle:

slysaint, JaimeS, Valentijn and 7 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.