• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nervana - Vagus nerve stimulation

raghav

If nervana helps in increasing my neurotransmitters' levels, then that itself will be of big help. Then I can get rid of the long list of antidepressants I am taking. Lets see. :thumbsup:

raghav

After using Nervana for 5 days I should say it had an overall negative effect on me.
Pros
It relaxes fantastically, almost like diazepam.
Cons
It caused ear pain in left ear.
It caused heartburn.
On the fourth and fifth day it made me very sleepy throughout the day.

I think it is very powerful. Unfortunately there are no clinical trials done using this device or a similar device which stimulates the afferent nerve fibres going from the left ear to the brain. It definitely alters neurotransmitter levels. Since I am on anti depressants the device caused a kind of interaction. So I have stopped using it temporarily and will try after another 2 weeks.
Next time I plan to start and stick with 15 minute sessions (Only once per day before going to bed) and using low Intensity 3 to 5 settings and waveform A. @perchance dreamer The device definitely helps with sleep. Will post after my second trial.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
The cheaper and safer way to stimulate the vagus nerve is to hum.

Natural Vagus Nerve Stimulation | Dr. Arielle Schwartz
drarielleschwartz.com/natural-vagus-nerve-stimulation-dr-arielle-schwartz/
Jul 19, 2015 - Humming: The vagus nerve passes through by the vocal cords and the inner ear and the vibrations of humming is a free and easy way to influence your nervous system states. ...

Hum Into Health - The Neurosculpting Institute
https://neurosculptinginstitute.com/hum-into-health/
Apr 20, 2014 - The researchers found that the vibrations from 'OM' chanting stimulate the vagus nerve, which then sends out neurotransmitters and electrical signals that reduce activity to key areas of the brain like the amygdala, associated with our flight/fight/freeze response. In addition, the increased oxygenation of the ...

raghav

Thanks @Chocolove I suffer form hypersomnolence. Because of which I am on Armodafinil. This device worsens my hypersomnolence. So I will have to go slow and low on my second trial. Lets see.

Asklipia

Stimulation of the vagus nerve might induce loss of thiamine, which would be be a problem if one is borderline deficient and induce a crash.

At one point I used an eye massager on my forehead, which was very soothing, and I noticed at the same time the thiamine low.
Maybe the vagus nerve is lazy because it is trying to save thiamine.

raghav

@jesse's mom The device battery compartment is poorly designed. The battery 9v does not fit in it. So you will have to kind of connect the leads and tape the battery to the back of the device or do something like that. There is a youtube video for a workaround for this problem. I dont have the link. .

Wayne

I recently started experiencing tinnitus, and have been doing a lot of research to try to treat it. I came across the following video on how to treat it by stimulating the vagus nerve. The guy talking is easy to listen to, and has some interesting things to say. Though tinnitus is in the title, the video is mostly about the vagus nerve. After I got done watching it, I noticed a number of other similar videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ds3gHPXBc