• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Negative XMRV CFS study with Ila Singh's name on it (University of Utah)

eric_s

Thanks CBS. I also think Switzer's study and the Macaque findings are interesting. Also what Vaughn (Miller's assistant) is about to publish. I don't know what the truth will be, but there are too many questions open and too many coincidences like that XMRV likes to go to the prostate in Macaques and has neurotoxic and immunotoxic properties to abandon it before all of this is answered, i think.

Parismountain

Who's going to risk submitting a paper which is positive on XMRV now? A piece of lab equipment with the most minute particle could be a source of contamination? If you are in the middle of a study and you get the robot dna machine clue in from this just released paper, wouldn't you automatically discount all your findings and wonder might MIGHT that have happened to me too? I probably sneeze and mouse DNA flies out of my nostrils. Great just Great.

Had a software engineer friend who use to have a poster of a rooster in his office with the caption - I'm so confused I don't know which way to point my pecker. That about sums it up.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Sorry if someone already mentioned this. I am too tired to read through all the posts.

Have we heard anything more about the DNA evidence Dr. Mikovitz claimed to have? What happened to the $100.00 DNA mapping test that found Mouse DNA mixed in with the human DNA.

What about HTLV 1 & 2? I posted a study that found that 38% of persons with HTLV 1 ended up with fibromyalgia. It was an old study from 6 years ago. I have access to some of the medical journals, and I could not find where anyone had attempted to do a follow up study. I know fibromyalgia isn't the same as ME, however, maybe this virus effects certain people much more negatively then others, depending on genetics? Would it have been possible for another retrovirus (not XMRV) to be causing ME symptoms?

currer

Who's going to risk submitting a paper which is positive on XMRV now? A piece of lab equipment with the most minute particle could be a source of contamination? If you are in the middle of a study and you get the robot dna machine clue in from this just released paper, wouldn't you automatically discount all your findings and wonder might MIGHT that have happened to me too? QUOTE

Scarey isnt it. Urbantravels did a great job of advocating for us to get better treatment and health resources onthe twiv blog. I hope the "hard" research can carry on - not the "soft" research from the Psychs - I hope to God we can be protected from them. I've been ill thirty years. I dont want to go back to the way it was for us before the WPI and XMRV.

It would be great if Dr. Singh could look into ME/CFS and try to find a virus.

Parismountain

Yes it is scary and I don't want to go back to the times before WPI either. I agree it seems so simple if you took 500 people qualified by Bell or Peterson or Klimas or Chenney or Lapp and studied the heck out of those people you'd find it. I don't care anymore about criteria Faduko this and Canadian that. You could easily get patient sets to study from known points of light docs we've been flocking to.

This whole saga fits well into the life isn't fair category. It's beyond crummy to be so ill but I don't think a Pulitzer prize winning author could write a concoction of a tale mirroring the way we've been treated and have that tale pass as believable. The ignorance of physicians, the psyche criminals and the lack of funding for research and the career ending knowledge researchers who get into this subject find, the CDC morons who headed CFS and directed the 10 cents in funds coming our ways to other illnesses, the tag-alongs who claim to have this disease because they're fatigued to, I could go on and on but what's the point.

Discouragement bucket is full on me I'd say today.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
A True Replication Study

Overall this seems like a decently designed study. There are a good number of patients and controls. The patients were supposedly selected by a well known CFS doc and met both the 1994 and CCC criteria. The blood was drawn by a 3rd party. The samples were blinded, etc.. But...

Dr. Mikovits keeps saying there are specific details of the testing that people aren't following in these studies that make a big difference. From my reading of the paper, the Singh study mainly used 4 PCRs developed in house, an in house ELISA, and an in house Western blot. They used all of these tests on all 300 of the patients and controls.

They then also tested 14 more people who had been identified by the WPI with their in house methods, and then after also using some of the methods from the WPI/Lo+Alter. But even then, they claim in in the paper that they diverged from the WPI/Lo+Alter testing methods, if even so slightly.

So while Dr. Singh clearly knows her stuff and appeared to have designed a good study, it wasn't a replication study. Insomuch as those small details of the WPI exact method matter (what Dr. Mikovits keeps saying), this study doesn't directly answer those questions.

So we still wait for a true exact replication study...

As a side note, it is interesting that Dr. Singh found that two of the PCR reagent kits had mouse DNA in them (not infectious virus). However, I don't think that can elegantly explain any comprehensive contamination theory.

After reading the study my conclusion was that this was a true replication study.

PCR- On line 356 she says she used the PCR assay used in the first study to search for XMRV in the Utah patients. She repeated that statement at least twice more in the paper
Antibodies - I don't believe she replicated this test.
Culture - She worked with Dr. Ruscetti to used an improved culture test that lasted for 6 weeks. Later she noted the increased risk of contamination from using culture.

She also used the Lo/Alter version of the test and except for some sequences later determined to be due to contamination, failed to find the MLV sequences they had.

On line 421 she says "We also also analyzed the WPI samples using tests utilized in the two studies that found XMRV or XMRV-like viruses in CFS, a PCR assay for gag sequences both in single round (12) and nested formats and a test for viral growth in cultured cells (12)"

On lines 436/438 she repeats those statements - stating we used the gag assays and culture tests used in the original study....

#11 refers to the Lo/Alter study and #12 refers to the WPI study.

This was a replication study...not only does she say she replicated the WPI's methods but she used her own methods - which should, given how much has been learned about XMRV since then, be more accurate.

She really looked hard - she looked 9 different ways for XMRV in those 14 WPI positive patients; 4 qPCR tests developed by Dr. Singh, two antibody tests, a Ruscetti culture test, nested PCR (gag) (Lombardi) and nested PCR (Lo/Alter). That is alot of testing.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Hi, I have just checked what was written on this forum in November 2010 regarding Dr. Singh's patent applications in prostate and breast cancer.
The most interesting thing is that she found 7% of her prostate CONTROLS positive for XMRV by semen sample.
It is right there in Cort's review.
Why have none of her controls in the ME/CFS study shown any positives? Surely they should have had at least 4-5% positive?

And just to remind ourselves of the rest of the paper, she found XMRV in 25% of her breast cancer patients, and 27% by imunohistochemistry of her prostate cancer patients. She got agreement with the antibody results too they showed a 30% positive rate.
According to Cort's front page write up, she found XMRV in immune cells in lymph nodes, bone marrow and peripheral blood, and demonstrated infectious virus.

This is hard to believe when six months later we have had such a barrage of negative papers.
How can her breast and prostate research stand up if she finds no xmrv at all in her ME/CFS study. She ought to have found some.
And check out the latest paper from the CDC.
They found 1% xmrv and no association with prostate cancer. To me it seems they are suggesting it is not pathogenic. Wheras Dr. Singh said she found the virus most integrated into tumor tissues.

I cannot make any sense of this. Go back and check the Singh patent report yourselves. Put it into the advanced search and read what we all were reading a few months ago. We have been so affected by the latest spate of negative reports we have forgotten the positive studies and how much impact they had.

If Dr. Singh's early work was accurate, and I cannot believe it was not, how can we understand this latest 0-0 finding from her? Is XMRV a pathogen or is it not?
I would also like to say that I too respect Dr Singh as a researcher. I just cannot reconcile these findings. In fact it is impossible to reconcile these findings.

THis is an interesting subject. Look at line 449 - it says "Our experience shows us that detection of XMRV in blood is fraught with difficulties". :This study was all about the blood - it had nothing to say about XMRV elsewhere.

We know that she identified the source of her false positives in the blood - so you can throw those out. But there are still the immunohistochemistry resultsI thought would be part of this study but it weren't. Her IHC results have come under some fire lately with at least one study purportedly showing, I believe, where they felt she went wrong but they are yet to come. She still has the autopsy study to come as well.

This was an intricate and detailed study... Dr. Racaniello called it the most comprehensive study yet and CBS pointed out how it took her a year to finish it up. We saw how she painstakinging tracked down the source of the positives (on both the healthy controls and CFS patients). The study then really supersedes any patent applications - which tend to be filed as quickly as possible.

Even if the IHC results are outstanding the authors did state that they believe that XMRV is not associated iwth CFS - not just in Utah but anywhere - which would be an odd thing to say if they had IHC results which contradicted everything.

kday

contamination is what they used for defraitus many years ago, it easy for them to through that line out to disguard cfs studies, conspiracy stuff could be occurring higher then Singh, personally i dont know much about her or cr bateman, but i dont trust the cdc and the like, who knows they could have planted someone in there, wouldnt suprise me, maybe Bin Laden is working in there in disguise and putting rat droppings in all the labs????

By no means do I think it is a conspiracy. I think this is honest science.

However, we must not forget history:

Around the same time gay men were getting sick in the U.S., doctors in Paris, France, were receiving patients who were African or who had lived in Africa with the same symptoms as Americans. Parisian researchers Jean-Claude Chermann, Franoise Barre, Luc Montagnier, and doctor Willy Rozenbaum began taking biopsies of HIV-infected lymph nodes and discovered a new retrovirus.[20] As a scientific necessity to compare it to the American version of HIV, French doctors representing the Pasteur Institute sent a colleague to the National Cancer Institute, where Robert Gallo was also working on the virus. The colleague switched the samples, Shilts reported, because of a grudge he had against the Pasteur Institute.[21] Instead of Gallo comparing his samples with the French samples, he found the very same retrovirus as the French sample, putting back any new results in AIDS research for at least a year.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Band_Played_On (From the book "And the Band Played On")

alex3619

There are issues with contamination that are worth mentioning again in light of the Shin et. al. study.

Contamination is only a big issue with two testing methods, both of which is based on polymerase chain reaction, PCR. PCR amplifies genetic material - so even a small amount is amplified and becomes detectable if it matches the starting primer. Nested PCR has the potential to further amplify the genetic material.

Culturing relies on PCR testing to identify the virus, iirc. Chance mouse contamination will probably have a small risk (due to being able to test for mouse DNA), this is a major problem only if the contamination is a live virus that can replicate in culture. The problem with a culture is that it is at risk from the environment on more occasions. Otherwise the risk is mostly from the PCR testing itself, because trace amounts of DNA in the culture will be amplified.

DNA and especially RNA are very vulnerable molecules. They are easily destroyed. So old sources of mouse contamination are not likely to be a problem, ongoing sources of mouse DNA is the issue, which means something is continually putting mouse DNA into the lab. Lab reagents are a possibility, but there are many other potential sources. To prove contamination, somebody has to definitively identify the source, lab by lab (because different labs might have different sources). I still think we should consider infected people as potential sources of MLV contamination, mice do not have to be a vector.

Antibody based tests, including immunohistochemistry, have a different problem. They are subject to cross-reactivity. Antibodies typically react to epitopes, small amino acid sequences with a particular configuration. Because these sequences are so small, many different proteins may have the same sequence present. This is why we can get cross-reactivity. These proteins need to be isolated and sequenced in full in order to determine what they are.

Isolation and sequencing of proteins is essential for immunological techniques to be robust. If something binds to your antibodies, it is always possible to use standard techniques to isolate the protein, after which it can be sequenced. If the sequence is a match for a known virus, or family of viruses, you have evidence for that virus, although there is always risk that another virus will have the same protein.

So contamination claims could explain the XMRV findings, but this is much more likely to be contamination from real XMRV than from mouse DNA, if for no other reason than mouse contamination is routinely tested for. I find this extremely unlikely, as the claim is that different strains are being detected - and contamination would most likely be from one single strain in any particular lab. I wont bother discussing the control issue again, as it has already been discussed at length.

Multiple contamination sources are the only way to explain this, although if the source is live, such as a person, they could easily carry multiple strains. Multiple sources will however make it easier to find the source, which makes me suspicious of this hypothesis.

Cross-reactivity could be due to proteins with similar amino acid sequences. It is always possible to isolate these proteins, but I am not sufficienty up to date to discuss the quantities necessary for sequencing. We need sequencing to be sure of the identity of the protein, but there might be difficulty in obtaining enough of any one protein to be able to sequence it. Alternatively this could be a gap in study design due to lack of resources, which includes funding and lab time.

These are all technical issues that can be resolved. It takes time, funding and will to do so. How many labs researching ME/CFS have adequate funding or other resources? I have a strong suspicion that the primary problem we are experiencing with the science is not the science, as this is a tough area of research, but the almost total lack of political will and funding. Its hard to do good science on a shoestring budget.

Bye
Alex

PS Doh, I forgot to get to a major point of this post. Singh has mostly found XMRV in prostate and other cancers using immunohistological techniques. She is finding something, but it might not be from XMRV. Does anyone recall it has been published that these proteins have been definitively identified as XMRV proteins? If the technology is effective at isolating and sequencing XMRV proteins in prostate tissue, there is no technical reason, provided we pick the right tissues, that this can't be done in ME/CFS.

eric_s

Since post #103 people have started to sound a bit as if XMRV was dead. I don't think it's time to think that.

Let's wait if Dr. Singh will really abandon her conclusion about XMRV in prostate cancer. The same for Switzer. And even in this case there would still be Silverman and Klein. Plus Alter/Lo and the WPI. This is not over.

Once again, she did not find XMRV in 305 samples, 200 of them from healthy controls. In her prostate cancer work, she found it in 4% of healthy controls. Unless XMRV only exists regionally and she herself has said in her video that she does not think this is possible, either this one or the prostate cancer study must be wrong, unless i'm really missing something here.
I'm certain she will want to be very sure it's really like that before she's going to say she was all wrong about her prostate cancer findings.

liquid sky

I am waiting to hear from WPI and Lo/Alter as to whether they consider this to be a true replication study of their work. It will be very interesting to hear their take on the situation. They know exactly what techniques they used and whether this study followed them properly.

Anyone read of a response from either of the 2 previous study participants?

ixchelkali

I'm a very very infrequent poster with little to say other than my hope was WPI was right and XMRV was associated with CFS. In my small attempt to communicate with members on the board my repetitive question was on blinding of the original Science paper. I felt all was well with Dr. M as long as samples were treated exactly the same and were blinded. Now I just read this in a summary of the new study:

Investigators generally not blinded to sample identity

Ouch I must say that one hurts and deflates. Crud.

I went looking for the facts on this one, and found it in the response (by Judy Mikovits and Frank Ruscetti) to the comments on the original Science paper.
"Regarding the concern raised by Sudlow et al. (2) about potential expectation bias, we point out that the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the Cleveland Clinic, whose scientists independently performed experiments and coauthored (1), were certainly not established as laboratories for the purpose of studying CFS. All samples were blinded, as mandated by the NCI and WPI institutional review board approvals. All experimental procedures were done by the same personnel, in the same physical laboratory space, under identical protocols. Investigators at NCI received 100 samples from individuals without knowing their health status; furthermore, the samples were sent to NCI directly without passing through the WPI laboratory space. Laboratory workers at the NCI and the WPI who performed the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and immunological studies used coded, blinded samples that did not reveal the CFS status of the individuals."
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5980/825.4.full

So I don't know which studies they were referring to when they said "generally not blinded," but the original WPI/NCI study was blinded.

Daffodil

snow.....i think schutzer only used 2 samples though...? and the virus is in brain tissue..not so much in spinal fluid, dr. mikovits said in the recent meeting.

i emailed the alberta researcher, who said they are still "Trying" to find it. maybe they wont find it either.

i DID put all my eggs into this basket..i have no time for another basket to come along!!!

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The Schutzer study clearly had a limited budget, hence the use of VIPDx in the first place. They pooled the fluid of 43 patients into two samples (which were tested by VIPDx - PCR and culture tests), they also tested 10 samples individually.

ixchelkali

DNA and especially RNA are very vulnerable molecules. They are easily destroyed. So old sources of mouse contamination are not likely to be a problem, ongoing sources of mouse DNA is the issue, which means something is continually putting mouse DNA into the lab.

It seems that Dr Singh found that not to be the case:
It turns out that a few months prior to extracting our blood samples, the same biorobot had been used to extract DNA from tissue culture cells that had been infected with XMRV. Despite the several months interval between the two extractions and the use of sterile, disposable reagents in the biorobot, we obtained false positives in our negative extraction controls and some patient samples.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Has Dr. Singh given any indication of her "autopsy" study that she worked on for most of last year. It was rumored to be complete back at the end of December and she was running into resistance getting it published. Just curious of that studies status?

My opinion of things right now are "If it is not XMRV, then what is it?". Contamination cannot explain all of the "positive" findings and if some of the positives were cross reactivity with "like" viruses (or pathogens) then which ones?

If you can't find a virus then would science please tell me what is causing my malfunctioning immune system? Endocrine system? Nervous system? Limbic system (I'm sure this is part of one of the others, but what the heck). I'm not pushing for a virus to be responsible for all and I honestly do not think a virus is the only culprit. I think what has hurt the research towards ME/CFS is that is has always been about finding a "single" cause for the illness. It's not going to happen!

. I think what has hurt the research towards ME/CFS is that is has always been about finding a "single" cause for the illness.
That is a very important observation and we need to understand that many of those who favoured the 'XMRV' hypothesis increasingly leaned toward a "XMRV = real M.E", and anyone not fitting that category was consigned to a "they have some other illness, not our problem" status. M.E/CFS is a labelling of 'illness of common symptoms' and the chances that it is not highly heterogenous in causation is vanishingly small.

Most medical research ends in a dead end and it is a bad strategy to overly indentify the campaign for aetiology/treatment/cure of M.E/CFS with a single line of research because the probability is that, that particular research will lead no where useful; in consequence that 'failure' then attaches to the image of what we are campaigning for. It is important not to see those researchers who come up with answers that we do not like as 'the enemy' and those researchers who produce promising results as being on 'our side' - we have to plan for the long haul and there's every possiblity that the researcher who comes up with a negative today, will in the future be the one to discover a key piece of the puzzle, and it is just as likely that the researcher who appears to offer the 'grand solution' today, will prove to have only a handfull of miscalculated data tommorrow.

Of course it's hard to be dispationate about hopes for research 'success', but treating every 'promising' result with religous fervour only makes us appear crazy. We have to be smart if we are going optimise research amd medical establishment interest in M.E/CFS and our collective expressed response to XMRV has been anything but smart. The question now for the future of M.E/CFS research may not be what the scientists choose, but what M.E/CFS affected people choose to learn from the XMRV experience. My hope is that those who have until now either been intimidated by the scientific language of the debate, or put off by the passion of 'the believers' will add their 'quiet' voices to the discourse.

IVI

Daffodil

whenever dr. mikovits is asked about the XMRV debate, she says that the politics will die down shortly, implying that there is a huge positive study about to be released....but where is it? i dont understand.