1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Negative XMRV CFS study with Ila Singh's name on it (University of Utah)

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, May 4, 2011.

1. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

I'm not so sure about that. It might seem unlikely in this case, but I can give you a list of conditions a mile long where the sensitivity and specificity of the various testing methodologies changes substantially based on the point in the illness, the organs effected, etc... It wouldn't be unheard of for a pathogen to be more active based on when it is tested for or under what conditions.

For example (pure speculation) - if XMRV is so triggered by cortisol, perhaps it would be better to test for it in the early AM, when the body's production of cortisol is the highest. Same with androgen hormones, perhaps women have higher blood levels at certain points in their cycle. Or perhaps the levels in the blood would go up during exercise?

The only way to find out is to run an experiment. Bottom line.. before XMRV is dismissed or endorsed, someone needs to run an experiment to connect the dots and explain the discrepancies in the studies. Everything else at this point is just conjecture.

See more popular forum discussions.