• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need some help with redlabs test results

Joopiter76

Hello,

I got my redlabs test result. Soluble CD14 is 7984 (Ref. 2800 - 5000) and C4A is 5961 (Ref. 20-1400)
RNase L, Elastase are in the range.
Immunobilan test for antibodies against gut bacteria has some positives.

So Id really appreciate some help for interpretation especially in view of mold.

Best regards,

joopiter

Tony

Still working on it all..
Hi Joopiter, sCD14 is, I think an indicator of 'leaky gut' according to KDM. C4A is an immune activation of some sort. Some info about the Red lab tests here.

SOLUBLE CD14

CD14 is expressed in monocytes/macrophages and plays a critical role in the recognition of bacterial cell wall components (LPS). The extracellular part of CD14 can be cleaved and released in the plasma, where it will inactivate circulating LPS. Serum soluble CD14 levels are significantly elevated in patients with inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, but also in patients suffering from Brucellosis or Lyme disease.

C4a SERUM LEVEL

C4a is an anaphylatoxin generated by cleavage of complement component 4 (C4), upon activation of the complement system. C4a increase causes local inflammatory response and symptoms of hypersensitivity. C4a levels are elevated following exercise in CFS patients. A US study has reported that elevated complement C4a was an early marker for Lyme disease in tick bite patients.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Good explanations by Tony. I'd just add that getting some positives on the immunobilan suggests that bacteria from the gut are reaching the blood stream. At least in theory, you should get real improvements in symptoms by taking antibiotics.
Normal RnaseL and elastase kind of contradict the other results, because they would normally be elevated if you have bad gut dysbiosis and leaky gut.
As far as mould goes, there is nothing here that will give you a clue. You need a blood antibodies test to aspergillus niger (any lab can do this) and a fecal analysis done by Redlabs to look for candida albicans (no other lab can do this, they have a special sample collection system.) This test might also give a clearer explanation of the other results.

Joopiter76

Hi,

thanks to you both for your reply, the RNaseL may be down because I did very very much for my gut and the permanent very bad flu-like feeling is almost gone. I feel bad in another way but not so flu-like bad.... maybe I have to do the mold testing as well as for intracellular bacteria.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Just one comment about the RnaseL - mine was getting better while I was feeeling worse and worse. So how you feel is not always reliable. I still don't understand exactly how this relates to our symptoms, and I am convinced nobody does, really.