• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need some help with oral health regime

I am dealing with very bad dental issues. My teeth are loose (i can move my 2 front teeth very easily), i have multiple painless cavities and alot if demineralization.

All i am doing is brushing them 2x a day with a natural toothpaste and taking vitamin k2. I think dairy free diet made them much worse so i am going to start drinking raw milk.

I really wish i could do oil pulling, but it causes SEVERE tooth sensitivity after one session with coconut oil for 20 minutes. My only guess is that it demineralizes my teeth.

I am not in a state to have any teeth ripped out financially or physically.

So i am wondering if someone can help me form a dental protocal to try revive my teeth as best as possible. Also if anyone knows why oil pulling causes severe sensitivity that would be great

Richard7

I do not have a really good answer, I am having some issues with my teeth as well.

re oil pulling, the studies done in india only had people oil pulling for 10 minutes (with sesame oil, not coconut by the way, which may be easier)

I think using a really soft brush is a good idea to reduce irritation. I like these people http://www.orawellness.com/Videos/how-to-brush-your-teeth-to-reduce-gum-disease.html, and use one of their brushes and have used the antimicrobial oil they sell. I would use more often if I had the money.

I have also used oral probiotics, I really found therabreath good (expensive) and iflora too http://www.iherb.com/TheraBreath-Oral-Care-Probiotics-Citrus-Flavor-8-Sugar-Free-Lozenges/64349

I have also read some stuff on Pubmed and other sites about triphala and tumeric and green tea polyphenols, the triphala and green tea (from memory) are relevant as they inhibit the enzymes that break down collagen and attack erode tooth and bone.

I have been taking the triphala and tumeric anyway (to try and deal with gut inflamation) so now I just swirl the mixture around my mouth for a while before swallowing.

I wonder if eating extra collagen (eg bone broth) would help?

thanks for the reply.

Maybe il try 10min. Maybe coconut is acidic?

I honestly go from no pain in my teeth to pain in every tooth when biting down. Just from oil pulling once

Richard7

I do not think it is acidic, I was just thinking that it is thicker and may be putting more of a stress on the teeth. I actually normally use extra virgin olive oil, when I oil pull, and find the strain on the muscles in my jaw can be a bit much.

I have never used coconut oil for oil pulling so I am just guessing it is thicker and harder to oil pull because in my climate at least coconut oil is solid most of the year.

perchance dreamer

Squiggle Toothbuilder helps my sensitive teeth. It has a large amount of Xylitol instead of fluoride.

https://www.amazon.com/Squigle-Toot...964090&sr=8-2&keywords=squiggle+tooth+builder

Also, if you get to the point where you can use an electric toothbrush, I love this one. It has heads for sensitive teeth. I get much better reports when I go in to have my teeth cleaned now. It is very gentle and effective:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CC3LWC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure and floss in the recommended way by running the floss under the gums on both sides of the tooth.

me/cfs 27931

I found 5,000-10,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily mostly stopped my gum and tooth pain. When I have tooth pain or mouth/gum sores, I take 20,000 IU for 3-4 days and it clears up.

Oddly, this regimen also helps heal the recurring face/nose/neck/back sores which have plagued me since adolescence.

Vitamin D3 is the only supplement that has provided significant long-term (15+ years) health benefits for me.

When tested, my Vitamin D3 levels are in the normal range. If you do "high dose" supplement, have your levels checked periodically.

Interestingly, Vitamin D3 (10,400 IU daily) has recently been studied in Multiple Sclerosis as an immune regulator.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...l-Pilot-Trial-Suggests-High-Dose-Vitamin-D-is

Last edited:

Richard7

@perchance dreamer I do not know how it is with @jengonwin but I cannot always floss, let alone correctly.

From other threads I have gained the impression that this is not uncommon.

When I have sufficient control over my hands I do it correctly, when I do not and find that I am just causing damage to gum tissue, I either do a modified flossing technique that does not go below the gumline or use just use a soft brush with the technique I linked to above. Well, in truth, sometimes I have as little control as the kids in the linked video and do not even manage that technique propperly.

I got dopey and walked home from an appointment two and a half weeks ago and am still dealing with the PEM and am still traversing the techniques in the above paragraph in reverse.

For those with the money a water pick maybe a good idea, I have never used one but have a friend who is a fan.

Thanks for the posts guys.

I think the oil pulling requires strong enamel to tolerate. I found posts on other forums of people getting worse by it. I think I will try 10mins lightly followed up with a baking soda mouthwash.

What do you think of this

Morning:
Brush teeth followed with 10min light oil pull. Then wash mouth with 1 cup water, 1tsp baking soda and 1 cup salt.

Night:
Brush teeth followed with baking soda/salt mouth wash

Supplements
-100mcg K2 MK7

Diet
-Egg yolks, liver etc for fat soluble vitamins

I think dairy free diets made them much worse. I think i get about 650mg calcium from diet

If your teeth are really loose, that sounds more like gum disease than a tooth issue. If the nerves are exposed that would explain why oil pulling would hurt.

But i have zero pain before oil pulling. Then after daily oil pulling every tooth on top hurts to eat. Then upon stopping the pain is gone.

So it seems they are demineralizing then remineralizing similar to Hips experience with b12 sublingual

TigerLilea

But i have zero pain before oil pulling. Then after daily oil pulling every tooth on top hurts to eat. Then upon stopping the pain is gone.

So it seems they are demineralizing then remineralizing similar to Hips experience with b12 sublingual
If you are swishing the oil around your mouth for 20 minutes you could be pushing it into any exposed nerves which would cause the pain afterwards. I don't see how oil could possibly demineralize your teeth.

Richard7

@TigerLilea I agree re demineralisation.

But part of the issue could also be that you are exposing infected tissue when you strip the plaques that cover them away with the oil pulling.

I would think that the level of MK is low, I understand that theraputic doses for MK4 for osteoperosis are around 45mg. I usually take either 5 or 15mg depending how much I can afford when I buy it. I also make and eat about a cup of natto each day.

Another issue could be bile and stomach acidity. To absorb the fat soluable vitamins and minerals like phosphorus and calcium you need a working digestive system. Mine is pretty stuffed and I use betaine HCL and ox bile to try to rectify that.

Actually now that I write this I am wondering about those people who make remineralising toothpastes. I know that teeth are really expected to be mineralised from the inside, but they can absorb minerals from your mouth, and if you have a broken digestive system ... hmmm.

Anyway, the issues with the gums will be microbial. The bicarb will increase the pH and and stop the acid some of them produce as a byproduct from dissolving your enamel, but I am not sure that it will stop them attacking your gums.

The idea with the probiotics I linked to is replace problem bacteria with commensal bacteria originally isolated from the gums of healthy people. In the case of some of the strains of dental probiotics they are also bacteria that produce amonia which will neutralise some of the acid produced by problem bacteria.

The idea with using things like clove oil or tea tree oil is that they are antimicobials that will take out the problem bacteria.

I am used to the idea of tumeric being something that one just has in one's cupboard. If you do you could just put some on a toothbrush and give it a try. I wouldn't just use tea tree oil unless heavily diluted (its very strong) and the bottles of pure tea tree oild I have bought say it is not safe to be taken internally. Toothpastes that use it (presumably in safe concentrations) are probably pretty good: it is anti bacterial and antifungal and anti inflamatory.

Oh and I would seriously look into a soft brush. Brushing and flossing can be rough on the gums and may be part of the pain that you are feeling.

I have spent a while moving from being well enough to look after my teeth, to not being sufficiently well and back again, and each new period of looking after my teeth has started with pain from the brushing and flossing that passed as I presumable got rid of pathogens and the gums got better.

good luck.

So you are saying every single tooth is infected? I pulled today 10mins. Now i can only eat with my 2 front teeth. Every single other tooth hurts.

I found many saying the same thing on curezone. The last time i experienced something similar was when i used crest whitening strips. That's why i thought it was enamel. The b12 sublinguals do the same thing as the oil pulling.

*sigh* can never win