• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help with getting in touch with a Lobbyist

justinreilly

I would like to consult with a lobbyist, hopefully pro bono or reduced fee. I want to get a feel for how we can get the attention of Congress so they can properly respond to the ME situation.

I don't have much money, but if this is an effective route, and I think it would be, I would consider asking my parents for an 'advance' on some of my inheritance to devote to this. I have no idea how much would be needed, and how much would be available to me, if anything. If I did this, I would need it to be a group effort; that is, I would need others to contribute too. I would do this by matching contributions of anyone else.

Anyway, does anyone have any connections to a lobbyist with whom I might consult about this topic?

(I'm thinking I might need to get 501c3 tax-exempt status for my little org or act under the aegis of another org in order to get pro bono or reduced-fee services)

*GG*

Hmm, I thought someone on this forum or perhaps it was Facebook? I remember them mentioned that they were a lobbyist a decade or more ago, I think it became to much wiht this illness. Perhaps Cort knows of who I am speaking of, contact him. I think it was the person who started CFIDS of America?

GG

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I've thought of a lobbyist from time to time myself, but hadn't considered the pro bono idea......I hope that could work.

Marly Silverman may have some good contacts or ideas. Also, regardless of what anyone thinks about the CAA, they used lobbyists and should have some insight into the mechanics. They would be a great resource for basic knowledge and lessons learned.

Washington is such a complex machine; we really need professional advice on how to move a grassroots campaign forward in that arena.

Aileen

Hmm, I thought someone on this forum or perhaps it was Facebook? I remember them mentioned that they were a lobbyist a decade or more ago, I think it became to much wiht this illness. Perhaps Cort knows of who I am speaking of, contact him. I think it was the person who started CFIDS of America?

GG
The person who started the CFIDS Association of America is Marc Iverson. He hasn't been with them for a long time though. There were some very nasty politics at one point and he was the casualty.