• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help if you're sitting most of the day

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@Sushi The roller you use is very expensive, around 100$ and more with shipping.
Why so expensive? It says $36 here. What my PT said was that they had been looking for a softer roller than the usual ones and this is the only one they could find. This one is plenty firm! You need 36" to be supported from head to base of spine. This one is 6" in diameter and that seems to work for me.

OPTP PSFR36 Pro-Roller Soft Pink Marble
Sold by UnbeatableSale
$36.00
Professional-quality foam roller designed for heavy and repeated use in multi-user environments but featuring a softer, more comfortable compression.Soft, yet supportive, the Pro-Roller Soft stays consistent with the rest of our Pro series with its cross-linked, closed-cell construction for lasting durability. Its comfortable support is gentle on tight or rigid areas making it ideal for lying supine, yet it's functional enough for gentle massage rolling. The soft compression also creates a more stable environment for high-risk users so that exercises are easier than on other rollers that are traditionally more firm.Available in pink or blue marble; measures 36" x 6".

Basilico

Florida
@Dechi , I just measured mine with a tape measure - it is 35.5" long. I think this should be the minimum length, since you need to be able to rest the back of your head on it and also your butt - I'm 5'4" and my roller has only a few inches to spare. So whatever you decide to go with, definitely get one that's at least 36".

I can't figure out the difference between half or full, either!

I don't know if they make them soft. Mine looks and feels like it's made out of styrofoam. I bet there are softer ones, maybe made from silicone, but I imagine they will be much more expensive.

I have a suggestion: What if you order the high density (hard) roller, try it out, see what you think of it. If you like it but wish it were softer, get a cheap twin-sized mattress topper from walmart or amazon, like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Sleep-Better-...955760&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+mattress+pad+twin, cut it to size, wrap it around the roller and secure it with duct tape. Not the most beautiful, but might get the job done.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I don't know if they make them soft. Mine looks and feels like it's made out of styrofoam. I bet there are softer ones, maybe made from silicone, but I imagine they will be much more expensive.
Yes, that was the problem my PT was trying to solve--finding one that wasn't hard like styrofoam. The one I have is much softer but definitely not squishy.

Dechi

@Sushi the cheapest one I found on Amazon.ca is 69$ CAD which comes down yo 80$ with taxes and close to 100$ with shipping 100$.

@Basilico Ha Ha Ha ! You're definitely a good fixer upper ! If I can think past the look, it moght be a good idea !

Good news ! I found it at 49,99& CAD at this place : http://www.healthcaresolutions.ca/optp-soft-foam-roller-round-36-x-6/

I'll call tomorrow and if they have it in stock and shipping is reasonable, I'll order it ! :)

Last edited:

Dechi

@Sushi I hate returning stuff, I almost never do. It seems like the best there is, so if I don't like this one I won't like any other one.

Dechi

I'm listening to a webinar on disability and playing Dr Mario at the same time ! So far I've managed to get a score of about 4300 and I'm getting better ! I really like it, except when it gets too crowded at the top and you know you're going to lose, then I have a bit of anxiety. So I try not to lose... :)

I don't know it this is of any use to people, but if you can manage to lie on your front with your legs and head slightly elevated, it can really help to stretch out the back. It's like an easier to do yoga posture.

I also find lying on the floor on my back, with my arms by my side and palms facing upwards can really help with upper muscle tension, especially the upper back and shoulders.

Dechi

I also find lying on the floor on my back, with my arms by my side and palms facing upwards can really help with upper muscle tension, especially the upper back and shoulders.

This is the exacr position you're supposed to use to ease tension on your back with the pro roller I just bought.

I tried it briefly today and it definitely works. It didn't last though, probably because I only did it a few minutes.

It might take longer if you are thinking about trying to relax Dechi. :thumbsup:

Relaxing can be hard at first.
It sounds silly but if you are 'trying' you could be holding in the tension.

I found that listening to something and concentrating on that helped at first. Something descriptive like a nature program on tv, music, audio book, radio play, or just the natural sounds around me did the trick.

If you have a favourite type of sound environment, you could try 'soundscapes'. A soundscape is like a landscape for your ears. You don't have to go the full whale song cliché :) There are some free good ones that (should) work in your internet browser here: http://environment.ambient-mixer.com/ The environments are made up of 'tracks' and you can adjust each one to your taste.

Searching the internet for Soundscapes or 'Field Recording' and a couple of sounds you like, Waves, birdsong, etc. should bring up some useful links too. (A field recording is where a sound engineer goes with quality equipment and records the ambient sounds in a particular area)

You can download and even make a cd if you like, (If you need any technical help, let me know)

Once you practice a bit you might find relief happens faster and more consistently, once you learn the 'trick' :)

Glad it's working already though!

Dechi

It might take longer if you are thinking about trying to relax Dechi. :thumbsup:

Relaxing can be hard at first.
It sounds silly but if you are 'trying' you could be holding in the tension.

I found that listening to something and concentrating on that helped at first. Something descriptive like a nature program on tv, music, audio book, radio play, or just the natural sounds around me did the trick.

If you have a favourite type of sound environment, you could try 'soundscapes'. A soundscape is like a landscape for your ears. You don't have to go the full whale song cliché :) There are some free good ones that (should) work in your internet browser here: http://environment.ambient-mixer.com/ The environments are made up of 'tracks' and you can adjust each one to your taste.

Searching the internet for Soundscapes or 'Field Recording' and a couple of sounds you like, Waves, birdsong, etc. should bring up some useful links too. (A field recording is where a sound engineer goes with quality equipment and records the ambient sounds in a particular area)

You can download and even make a cd if you like, (If you need any technical help, let me know)

Once you practice a bit you might find relief happens faster and more consistently, once you learn the 'trick' :)

Glad it's working already though!

I think I managed to relax once or twice in my whole life, so it will be a slow process, lol ! I'll try your sounds, lots of choices !

Basilico

Florida
I really like it, except when it gets too crowded at the top and you know you're going to lose, then I have a bit of anxiety. So I try not to lose... :)

Oh no! That was supposed to be an anxiety-reliever not an anxiety-inducer!

boolybooly

I do a simple stretch every day especially last thing at night.

First sit on a flat thing and touch my toes or better for at least half a minute.

Then turn over on my front and raise myself up on elbow so I can stretch my belly muscles.

These two regions are where I accumulate tense muscular habits and it helps a lot to stretch and wipe the neuromuscular slate clean, it can even help me sleep better.

Hope that helps :)

Dechi

I do a simple stretch every day especially last thing at night.

First sit on a flat thing and touch my toes or better for at least half a minute.

Then turn over on my front and raise myself up on elbow so I can stretch my belly muscles.

These two regions are where I accumulate tense muscular habits and it helps a lot to stretch and wipe the neuromuscular slate clean, it can even help me sleep better.

Hope that helps :)

I'll add that to my routine, thanks ! :)