• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need Help IDing active ingredients

cman89

So, I have been dealing with bad headaches for a few weeks now, and most of my standard supplements are only partially effective at tampering it down now.

The other day, on a whim, I bought a so called "brain tonic" drink at the store, and after I chugged it, I noticed that my head was clearer, and my ANS symptoms seemed lessened.

Maybe you guys can help me ID which active ingredients may have been helpful in my case. None of these are compounds I take on a regular basis. The drink contained the following:
4g Erythritol
3.5 mg Zinc,
Eluthero,
Choline,
Rhodiola,
Sunflower Lecithin,
Bacopa Monnieri,
and Centella Asiatica.
*The last six ingredients did not have an amount listed.

skwag

I often find I can get rid of a headache by taking choline. However, I take much more (>200 mg ) than is likely found in your drink. Good luck.

leela

Choline and Bacopa are both nootropics. Those two might well have made you feel clearer in the head.
Rhodiola Rosacea is also a CNS tonic, immune enhancer, and memory/energy booster.
Sunflower lecithin contains Phosphatidyl choline, which is good fat/fuel for the brain, and all cells, and also mops up toxic substances/supports the liver.

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
Eluthero,
Choline,
Rhodiola,
Sunflower Lecithin,
Bacopa Monnieri,
and Centella Asiatica.
*The last six ingredients did not have an amount listed.

All these things have potential to give you nasty side effects, especially eluthero (ginseng) and bacopa. And that is before you consider that you don't know how much you're taking or how these things may interact with each other.

I would never put such a cocktail in my body unless a competent doctor had convinced me that its benefit is worth the potential side effects.

cman89

All these things have potential to give you nasty side effects, especially eluthero (ginseng) and bacopa. And that is before you consider that you don't know how much you're taking or how these things may interact with each other.

I would never put such a cocktail in my body unless a competent doctor had convinced me that its benefit is worth the potential side effects.
Well, it helped me more than it hurt. Something in there helped with my headache, and no rebound effect after...

cman89

Choline and Bacopa are both nootropics. Those two might well have made you feel clearer in the head.
Rhodiola Rosacea is also a CNS tonic, immune enhancer, and memory/energy booster.
Sunflower lecithin contains Phosphatidyl choline, which is good fat/fuel for the brain, and all cells, and also mops up toxic substances/supports the liver.
Thank you, this makes sense.