Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Need Help IDing active ingredients

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by cman89, Sep 24, 2016.

1. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    So, I have been dealing with bad headaches for a few weeks now, and most of my standard supplements are only partially effective at tampering it down now.

The other day, on a whim, I bought a so called "brain tonic" drink at the store, and after I chugged it, I noticed that my head was clearer, and my ANS symptoms seemed lessened.

Maybe you guys can help me ID which active ingredients may have been helpful in my case. None of these are compounds I take on a regular basis. The drink contained the following:
    4g Erythritol
    3.5 mg Zinc,
    Eluthero,
    Choline,
    Rhodiola,
    Sunflower Lecithin,
    Bacopa Monnieri,
    and Centella Asiatica.
    *The last six ingredients did not have an amount listed.

2. skwag

skwag Senior Member

I often find I can get rid of a headache by taking choline. However, I take much more (>200 mg ) than is likely found in your drink. Good luck.

3. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I suspect choline might be part of the solution. Thanks for input

4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Choline and Bacopa are both nootropics. Those two might well have made you feel clearer in the head.
    Rhodiola Rosacea is also a CNS tonic, immune enhancer, and memory/energy booster.
    Sunflower lecithin contains Phosphatidyl choline, which is good fat/fuel for the brain, and all cells, and also mops up toxic substances/supports the liver.

5. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    All these things have potential to give you nasty side effects, especially eluthero (ginseng) and bacopa. And that is before you consider that you don't know how much you're taking or how these things may interact with each other.

I would never put such a cocktail in my body unless a competent doctor had convinced me that its benefit is worth the potential side effects.

6. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Well, it helped me more than it hurt. Something in there helped with my headache, and no rebound effect after...

7. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Thank you, this makes sense.

8. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    I bet it was sugar.

(I'm not even messing with you; that's the likeliest explanation.)

IreneF likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.