• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need advice on taking DHEA

@ heapsreal - many thanks for clear description of your experience.
helped me understand reactions. I'm a male over 40.
are there any possible side effects if I dont take DIM or something?
Im very senzitive to so many supps and meds.
How long have you been taking DHEA? did you took any aromatase inhibitor?
Thanks!

Crux

Hi AkeBono;

Typically, the list of nutrients that are antagonized by cortisol, ( this list is derived from cortisol taken as a med), includes : potassium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, strontium, and chromium--the minerals.

Other nutrients are : folate and vitamin D, and possibly B6.
I don't think deficiencies of these nutrients would occur in everyone with high cortisol, or someone taking cortisol. ( I only take a few supps.)

If you can get tested, or trial some supps. yourself, that would be good.

Did you mean mcg. or mg. with zinc? ( probably mg.) That's a lower dosage of zinc, but it's generally a good idea to start low and watch.

Most people benefit from magnesium supps., especially here. ( There are a few of us who don't, but that's true for just about everything.)

I agree with @drob31 , that addressing the gut may help with HPA-axis dysfunction, etc.

For instance, I think histamine problems can come from the gut. There are some bacteria, such as L. delbruekii, and L. casei, that produce histamine.

The nutrients, copper, B6, and vitamin C are needed to metabolize histamine. They form the enzyme DAO. ( there are other enzymes.)

Also, cortisol breaks down proteins. This can result in muscle loss, and loss of collagen. I believe a fairly high protein diet with plenty of collagen, (gelatin, bone broth), would prevent the muscle/ collagen loss.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@ heapsreal - many thanks for clear description of your experience.
helped me understand reactions. I'm a male over 40.
are there any possible side effects if I dont take DIM or something?
Im very senzitive to so many supps and meds.
How long have you been taking DHEA? did you took any aromatase inhibitor?
Thanks!

Im glad my response helped.

i have been taking dhea for maybe 6 years i think?

I do use an AI, arimidex. I started with .5mg twice a week which worked fine for say 12 months and then i had bad symptoms of low E2 ie really sore and stiff muscles and joint pains, its up there with bad experiences when E2 goes too low.

I have been using it off and on for a few years now and trying different doses. Now i use .25mg twice a week.

I havent had any recent hormone tests but its on the cards.

Im not sure why .5mg worked well for so long like over 12 months with no problems than all of the sudden it crashed my E2??

I am on TRT also, so with that and dhea i need to control aromatization.

Hormones are also trial and error to get it optimal, seems like everything is for us.

Santino

@heapsreal :

you seriously took only 0.5mg of DHEA?? I really don´t think that such a dose can do anything positive or negative for anybody. Or did you mean 5mg?

Rand56

I think DHEA is tricky. I've had a hate relationship with this hormone for quite sometime since I've tried it numerous times. I seem to be doing ok with it now as a liquid transdermal with it mixed in with some Preg. But I only do low dose with it, 5mg's per day. Contrary to how it might effect others as it being stimulatory, it has the opposite effect with me even at low dose. This is why I only apply it at night. For anyone trying it for the first time, I'd start off low to begin with to see how you react.

I know Progesterone was mentioned in a post on this thread. If I have trouble sleeping, I use about 1/8th of a teaspoon of transdermal cream, and shortly after, I'm out like a light. Got to be careful not to apply too much though.

Rand56

Why do you use it if you feel bad from?! Just leave it out then...

@Santino

Are you saying this to me? If so, the low dose I'm taking now doesn't make me feel bad. If it did, I'd ditch taking it altogether. Maybe I can handle it now because it's mixed with Preg, idk. Any other time I've tried it in the past I couldn't even handle small doses of it. Made me feel too weird and I itched like crazy, no matter how many different brands I tried.

adreno

PR activist
DHEA is not stimulatory for me at all, quite the opposite. Lately 12.5mg makes me like a zombie through the day, and I have to go to bed in the afternoon. I'm positive it's antagonizing cortisol.

On the plus side, it seems to increase muscle strength and endurance for me. Also improves OI as well as stress response.

Rand56

DHEA is not stimulatory for me at all, quite the opposite. Lately 12.5mg makes me like a zombie through the day, and I have to go to bed in the afternoon. I'm positive it's antagonizing cortisol.

On the plus side, it seems to increase muscle strength and endurance for me. Also improves OI as well as stress response.

@adreno

I've also noticed increased muscle strength from lifting weights. Could be placebo, but maybe not either. Ray Peat says you don't really need higher doses of DHEA. Whether he is right or not, I really don't know. I'll stick with the lower dose. Chances are, if I kept raising it, it would raise my E too much, and I have heard that DHEA has a greater tendency to turn into E in men moreso than women. I've been on the arimidex bandwagon before and it always made me feel like dog chit. Couldn't ever seem to get the dosing right. I believe I'm controlling my E on this low dose. I'd know if it was shooting up, because I would feel and look puffier. I suppose the vitamin E and zinc I take is helping to control it.