• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ND RecommendsTapering Off of Cortef Using Compounded DHEA

Wayne

My partner went to an ND several years ago who specializes in hormone testing and treatment. She was taking Cortef at the time, and he (ND) assured her she could discontinue it by supplementing instead with very low-dose (3-4 mg/day) of Compounded DHEA (cDHEA). His assurances turned out to be accurate, and she was able to taper off, and never felt a need to go back on it.

If I remember correctly, he did not believe in Cortef supplementation at all. Experience with his patients apparently convinced him it was seldom, if ever necessary. I never really understood her experience until we were talking about it tonight. Makes me think it would be good to give the cDHEA a try, and see if it works for me as well.

I feel pretty certain the c in front of DHEA stands for "compounding", as she got it at a compounding pharmacy. I've assumed the main difference between cDHEA from normal DHEA stems from its delivery mechanism (comes in "thIck" drops, with each drop = 1 mg.). I've also assumed it is likely far more effecient, as normal dosage for cDHEA is 3-4 mg, whereas regular DHEA usually comes in dosages of 25-50 mg.

@lizw118 , @Ema, @Ryan7817, @Dufresne, @Helene, @heapsreal, @Rand56, @Grigor, @Martial, @Athene, @madietodd, @rydra_wong, @snowathlete

Last edited:

Wayne

@Katyw
Makes me think it would be good to give the cDHEA a try, and see if it works for me as well.

FOLLOWUP: --- I did give this C-DHEA a try, and was quite surprised how it felt in my body. I've taken 20mg of Cortef/day for many years, as well as 25mg of regular OTC DHEA. When I tried just 4 drops (4 mg) of the C-DHEA, I noticed a very different feel in my body, and also noticed I almost forgot to take my Cortef for the 3-4 days I experimented with it.

It felt very "supportive" for my body, and it felt like it was doing something for me that neither the regular Cortef in conjunction with the OTC DHEA was doing. I'm going to see my Osteopathic Physician tomorrow, and will be asking him for a prescription of C-DHEA. It would be my fondest hope to also be able to discontinue my regular Cortef with a single small (4 mg) daily dose of C-DHEA. --- My partner eventually went down to just 2 mg a day, as she didn't feel she needed 4 mg after taking it for a while.

A three-month supply at 4 mg/day came to $41 US.

Last edited:

invisiblejungle

Hi Wayne,

Have you confirmed that the C-DHEA is simply "compounded" DHEA? I find it surprising that compounded DHEA would have such a different effect from OTC DHEA, since they would probably be from the same raw suppliers.

Wayne

I'd also like to know more about the product. ... What compounding pharmacy makes it?

Hi Ema,

Getting ready for my Dr. appt. (always a bit stressful and overwhelming). Did want to leave the pharmacy name and number however.

Black Oak Pharmacy
Medford, OR
541-773-5356

I had thought about posting the pharmacy and tele. # in case anybody wanted to research this, but then sort of spaced it out. I too am interested in how C-DHEA is different from regular DHEA. My best guess is it has to do with some kind of delivery mechanism (it's taken as drops under the tongue).

EDIT: Ema, if you call them, perhaps ask them if they also do compounding for other hormones, such as cortisol... I wonder if very low-dose compounded cortisol (3-4 mg) might be able to replace 20 mg of Cortef.

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I had a rough time with even minimal DHEA (3 mg), that was compounded for me many years back.

I did much better and continue to take 7 Keto DHEA, which is a metabolite and is much less stimulating. I can take up to 25 mg/day. It has been very helpful for my adrenals. Definitely more helpful than HC, which was a disaster.

Wayne

What is C-DHEA? A google search revealed nothing.

I just edited my INITIAL POST on this thread, which (I hope) clarifies this. Sorry I didn't make it clearer first time around.

For more information, you could call the compounding pharmacy where we got it:

Black Oak Pharmacy
Medford, OR
541-773-5356

xks201

The only difference I could see what that it could be potentially be micronized dhea.