1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

NCF Board Calls for Dr. Kenny L. De Meirleir's Resignation!

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by JPV, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Sorry if this has been discussed before (I couldn't find any mention of it on the forum) but I just ran across this undated press release and was curious if anybody had any more information on this situation...

2. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    This is very old.. there isn't any date but I think it is a couple of years old. At least I remember to have read it ages ago.

3. JPV

JPV Senior Member

I figured that it was a few years old. I'm still curious as to whether there was any real foundation to the accusations and what the ultimate resolution was.

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Europe
    The journal of chronic fatigue syndrome doesn't exist anymore, if i'm correct

5. Athene

Athene ihateticks.me

Italy
    That old twaddle

I read that old twadle about a year ago, but it is older.

KDM always tries to publish and share his research as widely as possible. He works in an international environment surrounded by Simon Wessley's who try to block and discredit him at every move. He has put his whole career and credibility on this line to help us PWCs. If he didn't manage to publicise information about RNase-L cleavage in the way the writer of this complaint wanted I have no doubt there were good reasons. Possibly the fact that it was someone else's discovery, for example?

And how many people have actually died of CFS as a result of not having their RNase-L cleavage measured, as this article suggests? Come off it! Even if you do get it measured, there is nothing you can do about it.

The comments about Ampligen and Acclydine are also silly. We know they are experimental, they make some people better and some worse. KDM has published his explanation of why he thinks this is. (It is all over the Canadian CFS website for those interested.) He doesn't conduct experiments on people without their knowledge.

6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Horrible stuff in my opinion. Its quite old - they tried to ruin him - one of our top researchers, one of the few fully committed to the cause (and a nice guy to boot). He wrote an entire book on RNase L! He gave it everything he had and put lots of unpublished information in there and they do this. A very dark spot in CFS history.

7. richvank

richvank Senior Member

I, too, want to put in a good word for Dr. Kenny de Meirleir. I have met him personally and have interacted with him over a period of several years. He has made major contributions to both research on CFS and treatment of patients. I believe that his motivations are very good and that he is a person who can be trusted.

Rich Van Konynenburg

8. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    I was very sorry that the National CFIDS Foundation smeared Dr. deMeirleir a few years ago. I dropped my membership, and it was quite a while before I resumed. The NCF is good in many ways, and like the WPI, was founded by a mother who cares.

9. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

The thing about Dr. KDM seems to be from 2003.

What is up with the NCF anyway, do they still even exist? They seem to be doing nothing.

10. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    Apologies to you JPV as you were just asking a question but this thread title is lacking in consideration of one of our greatest allies. We need all the decent researchers and doctors on our side we can get. Extra publishing of this nonsense is unfortunate. Again JPV, I don't mean this personally.
    It's my opinion that the NCF should take this piece off their website. KDM isn't the only doctor who has used Ampligen either and it's still used in the US.
    Could a moderator change the title to something less tabloid please. Perhaps "NCF and De Meirleir" would do.

11. JPV

JPV Senior Member

Well, I'm actually a big fan of De Meirleir's work. I was just curious as to what this situation was all about. Certainly the accusations from the NCF, whoever the hell they are, are pompous, arrogant and rambling... to say the least.

12. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Thanks for clarifying this Cort. I recall reading this in the National CFIFDS Foundation newsletter in about 2003 or so and back then I trusted the NCF and believed what they were telling us.

Athene, I didn't realize that de Meirleir is surrounded by Wesselys. He's definitely one of the heroes for CFS.

13. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks JPV,
    As a patient of KDM's I'm of course biased. And like you, I'm a fan of his research. It's what made me decide to see him.

I just think that we shouldn't give oxygen via a negative thread title to something that's so poor and plainly wrongheaded. Search engines pick up this stuff. I suppose now we at least have this thread to counter the argument.

Cheers, Tony...:)

See more popular forum discussions.