• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naviaux to Speak on CDC Conference Call May 25

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
Heard very good things via friends who listened in the US.

V good slides.

Pleasant to hear about forward thinking research rather than the regressive nonsense here in the UK.

bspg

Plant Queen
A comment on an OMF post about the talk:

Screenshot_20170525-153641~01.png

Diwi9

Administrator
I'm not the most fluent person here, but can try to summarize just a portion.

Naviaux is looking at the cell danger response system. Any sort of stress can trigger a CDR, which involves ~30 different metabolic processes. Different diseases have signature metabolic profiles during CDR. His tests could accurately determine ME/CFS vs. control at ~95% (differed based on sex a smidge).

During CDR, the cell's channel receptors react by discharging ATP. This causes the mitochondria to produce more ATP, which can exhaust resources within the cell. Also, oxygen begins to build-up with in the cell leading to oxidative stress. He says that mitochondria are not defective in ME/CFS, but rather just responding to the CDR system to protect the cell.

Naviaux is looking at chronic illness as a lack of completion in the healing process. One idea is to try to use an antagonist to block the channels that are ejecting the ATP. He is going to trial the drug suramin, to interrupt the CDR process.

After blocking the ATP outflow, nutrients need to be reintroduced into the metabolic process in a timed and individual way that caters to one's unique metabolic needs. He has no general advice to PWME about how this can be accomplished as we are all highly individual.

The idea is to sort of wake-up the cells from a hypo-metabolic state.

There is a lot more, but you can compare a bit of what I said with his powerpoint attached in an above post.

Sidereal

At the end of the presentation a question was raised to Dr. Unger about 30 tissue samples sent to the CDC in 2015 by Dr. Chia. Dr. Unger stated that the tissue samples were tested and were all negative.

They should publish this information in a peer-reviewed journal. Many people out there currently believe that ME/CFS is caused by a chronic enteroviral infection.

Dechi

At the end of the presentation a question was raised to Dr. Unger about 30 tissue samples sent to the CDC in 2015 by Dr. Chia. Dr. Unger stated that the tissue samples were tested and were all negative.

@Diwi9 thanks a lot for the update ! What were the tissue samples sent for testing, were they tissues of ME patient from Dr Chia ? Or from undiagnosed patients, to seek a diagnosis ?

If they were tissues from Dr Chia's ME patients, this is very interesting and worrisome because it means there is a substantial sub-group of patients that wouldn't be addressed here.

Diwi9

Administrator
@Diwi9 thanks a lot for the update ! What were the tissue samples sent for testing, were they tissues of ME patient from Dr Chia ? Or from undiagnosed patients, to seek a diagnosis ?

If they were tissues from Dr Chia's ME patients, this is very interesting and worrisome because it means there is a substantial sub-group of patients that wouldn't be addressed here.
I can't remember the details, but Dr. Chia is known for taking stomach tissue samples from patients that he suspects have been infected by an enterovirus. I would assume that the samples he provided for testing were thought to possibly have signs of enterovirus infection?

Dechi

@Diwi9 yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I am currently awaiting my biopsy results from Dr Chia to know if I'm infected with enterovirus. This is a curve ball, really. It goes against Dr Hyde's and Dr Chia's definition of ME. So where does this leave all their patients I wonder ?

Diwi9

Administrator
@Diwi9 yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I am currently awaiting my biopsy results from Dr Chia to know if I'm infected with enterovirus. This is a curve ball, really. It goes against Dr Hyde's and Dr Chia's definition of ME. So where does this leave all their patients I wonder ?
I don't hang my hat on any one theory, all I know is that the least common denominator seems to be some sort of immunological insult (i.e. triggering event) that leads to metabolic (energy production) problems, that then leads to neuro-inflammation, which results in autonomic dysregulation...and maybe not in that order! Hornig and Lipkins' latest paper and Naviaux's talk all seem to point to different paths leading to various hypo-metabolic states. Most of the research is focussed on downstream effects. It just seems obvious that medical science has a weak understanding of the immune system and individual differences. The Norwegians' work indicates an auto-immune mechanism in a chunk of us, at least to my limited understanding of the science. Right now Fluge and Mella are un-sung heroes. Perhaps the completion of their two current clinical trials will change that, and our understanding of ME/CFS. Their teaming with OMF is a start in putting force to pull all of the pieces together.