Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nausea and supplements

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by Nanni, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Nanni

Nanni

I can’t figure out which supplement is setting off my nausea. I’ve tried eliminating and adding back different stuff I take but some are multiple ingredients. I know that I feel really bad when I go off everything, which I do gradually. I probably add back too quickly. I have gastroparesis, leaky gut and I take pain medication so I’m always dealing with good plumbing. Magnesium has been really important for that but that’s hard on my gut too with cramping. I hate that. This is different from magnesium. I’m nauseous right now and I just had my goat yogurt with a side of supplements. And I take 1MD probiotic in the morning, on an empty stomach and that’s one of my suspicions, empty stomach directions. Anyone else who doesn’t do well with it. Oh and I don’t have a gallbladder Anything that I might not think of that people like us tend to take that’s hard on the gut?

2. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    Lack of stomach acid can lead to nausea when taking some food or supplements. I have very low stomach acid and need to take betaine hcl (with pepsin) with any meal. Apparently if a zinc supplement causes nausea it's a good sign that a person has low stomach acid; it works that way for me.

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
  4. Nanni

Nanni

Ahhhh...
    . I just got back from the gastro doctor for my gastroparesis and all he did was order a colonoscopy, Metamucil, small bites and low fat diet. He didn’t want to hear about the fact that I do everything he advised except metamucil and I’m constantly nauseous. Nor much concern about a polyp they found in my esophagus 5 years ago and I never even knew about it. He was like, well you’re probably fine. It’s already been 5 years...... and I chimed in, and what, I’m not dead so it’s probably fine. I at least got him to refer me to a specific ear, nose, and throat person.

Could i ask the brand of betaine you take. I remember trying it a long time ago and didn’t have a good result but I don’t remember pepsin and my health is better. Does leaky gut have to be dealt with first? I definitely get nauseous from zinc. Im guessing that I haven’t done enough to specifically address the no gallbladder/gastroparesis problem. I take ox bile occasionally but maybe I need to take it regularly.

5. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    For several years I've used Vitacost brand betaine HCL with pepsin (650mg) and I've recently been using Swanson brand betaine HCL with pepsin (325mg).

I use the lower dose with meals that only contain a little protein. I need 5-6 of the larger dose with meals that contains more protein or protein with liquids (since the liquids dilute the betaine hcl).

When I first suspected I had low stomach acid I tried a full dose betaine hcl capsule and felt discomfort in my stomach. I cut back to the smaller dose which was better. I read later that a person's stomach lining will become thinner due to lack of stomach acid so that why I felt discomfort. Some people mistake this feeling as an indicator that they have too much stomach acid, when really they don't have enough.

When I added supplemental acid my stomach needed some adjustment time to thicken my stomach lining. Within a few weeks I was able to keep increasing my dose of betaine HCL until I no longer felt exhausted or like I had a rock in my stomach after eating a meal with protein.

I have so little stomach acid that I can drink 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in water and not burp. Someone with stomach acid should burp because the baking soda neutralizes their stomach acid and causes gas.

One cause of gastroparesis is lack of stomach acid. Presence of stomach acid is one of the signals your body relies on to know that your stomach is ready to pass the food out of your stomach.

Low stomach acid is common in ME/CFS patients.

6. Nanni

Nanni

I’m so grateful for your post. I have not been doing well at all. I had heard about the baking soda test but you know how it goes...got lost in the fog. Amazing how much I’m side tracked by brain blipping. I just did the test, took a 1/2 teaspoon before I finally burped. I’m going to get some hcl right away. I have the same feelings like too much acid and the rock in my stomach. I’ve started taking ox bile now if i eat high protein and that seems to help a little. I’ve been trying everything from glutamine to ginger and still so sick. Thanks PatJ

See more popular forum discussions.