• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nausea and sickness in ME/CFS: non drug options

One of the only medications that works for me is Gravol -- not available in the UK. Available in Canada over-the-counter. 1/4 tab works for me with no side-effects. Also comes in a ginger-based form.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Ginger works wonders in this respect for my GF, but for me it unfortunately provokes my GERD.

Can anyone kindly suggest an acupressure band that works for them? Thanks :)

charles shepherd

I as referring to getting Gravol/dimenhydrinate with only the dimenhydrinate in it, not in combo with an anti-histamine-like medication. Any antihistamine makes me super drowsy and makes my heart race with palpitations. The ginger-based one is good for mild nausea. I also find flat ginger ale can be effective for mild nausea.

PeterPositive

Homeopathic nux vomica 5C. Always works for me and has worked for my father and two relatives as well.
Placebo? I doubt it, I have tried other homeo products indicated for the same issue (arsenic album, carbo vegetabilis) and didn't work.

Keep in mind that 5C still contains molecules of the active substance. Just saying to avoid the usual mantra ... It's just sugar pills and such :rolleyes:

If it's placebo, then best placebo ever. ;)

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I thought I'd mention another cause of nausea which may require a different treatment.

I get nausea when my blood pressure drops due to dysautonomia (POTS, NMH). Nausea is a common symptom of pre-syncope (pre-fainting), along with feeling dizzy or lightheaded, cold sweat, etc.

Before I had any diagnosis I tried various nausea treatments (ginger, etc.) and they did not work very well. Once I started treating my autonomic dysfunction then my nausea problems got a lot better. So, for me, it's not due to something I ate or some digestion problem. It seems to be from my dropping blood pressure.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Groggy Doggy

I take a homepathic when feeling nauseated & dizzy (when my symptoms mimic the feeling of motion sickness or sea sickness). I always carry it in my purse. Cocculus Indicus 30C, made by Boiron:

https://www.amazon.com/Cocculus-Indicus-30C-Boiron-Pellet/dp/B00028NZGG/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467233933&sr=1-1&keywords=cocculus indicus 30c

The Cocculus Indicus, 6C product has a different strength, so might be a better option.

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Homeopathic-Medicine-Cocculus-Indicus/dp/B000FPC6PC/ref=pd_sim_325_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41+oyeF7+SL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=7888C9PJ290V3FB42KX7#customerReviews

The reason I orginally chose this, was due to the writing on the container that said "motion sickness with need to lie down"

GD :dog:

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

Can anyone kindly suggest an acupressure band that works for them? Thanks :)

I have used ReliefBand for almost 20 years. It used to be less expensive; before the FDA cleared it as a medical device.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VU8XXB..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6271S937B78WXX0277KV

"The ReliefBand® with Replaceable Batteries is a FDA cleared medical device that relieves symptoms associated with Motion Sickness (nausea and vomiting) using proprietary nerve stimulation technology. Technically referred to as “neuromodulation,” the ReliefBand is specifically programmed to regulate and balance the various stimulus mechanisms causing motion sickness. When activated, the device emits gentle electrical impulses to the underside of the wrist. These intermittent signals create a “tingling” sensation in the palm and middle fingers, indicating the device is working and stimulating the appropriate median nerve."

Crux

* Dexamethasone – this is a steroid medicine. It is a man-made version of a natural hormone produced by your own body. Dexamethasone has a wide range of actions on many parts of the body. The reason why it reduces nausea isn’t clear.

Corticosteroids increase stomach acid which inhibits pathogens. This abstract lists :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184695

Glucocorticoids may act via the following mechanisms: (1) anti-inflammatory effect; (2) direct central action at the solitary tract nucleus, (3) interaction with the neurotransmitter serotonin, and receptor proteins tachykinin NK1 and NK2, alpha-adrenaline, etc.; (4) maintaining the normal physiological functions of organs and systems; (5) regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis; and (6) reducing pain and the concomitant use of opioids, which in turn reduces opioid-related nausea and vomiting.

I take hydrocortisone , ( partial pituitary failure), and the last time I had a crisis, (~5 1/2 yrs. ago), I couldn't stop vomiting until the EMT hooked me up to an NaCl IV. The HC alone didn't work.

Now, If I feel like I'm headed for a crisis, nausea and vomiting, etc., I take a couple of salt tablets.

In other words, salt tablets ease my nausea.

WoolPippi

I thought I'd mention another cause of nausea which may require a different treatment.

I get nausea when my blood pressure drops due to dysautonomia (POTS, NMH). Nausea is a common symptom of pre-syncope (pre-fainting), along with feeling dizzy or lightheaded, cold sweat, etc.

Before I had any diagnosis I tried various nausea treatments (ginger, etc.) and they did not work very well. Once I started treating my autonomic dysfunction then my nausea problems got a lot better. So, for me, it's not due to something I ate or some digestion problem. It seems to be from my dropping blood pressure.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!
I'm interested in how treat your autonomic dysfunction with regards to nausea. I will go look at your profile page as not to distract this thread.
I'm assuming salt, Florinef and lying down but I don't like to assume.

Last edited: