The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nausea and sickness in ME/CFS: non drug options

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by charles shepherd, Jun 29, 2016.

1. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

Crux, ahimsa and panckage like this.
  2. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    One of the only medications that works for me is Gravol -- not available in the UK. Available in Canada over-the-counter. 1/4 tab works for me with no side-effects. Also comes in a ginger-based form.

Mij likes this.
  3. Skippa

Skippa Senior Member

Ginger works wonders in this respect for my GF, but for me it unfortunately provokes my GERD.

Can anyone kindly suggest an acupressure band that works for them? Thanks :)

4. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    Extra strong mints are my saviour.

Kina likes this.
  5. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

6. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    I as referring to getting Gravol/dimenhydrinate with only the dimenhydrinate in it, not in combo with an anti-histamine-like medication. Any antihistamine makes me super drowsy and makes my heart race with palpitations. The ginger-based one is good for mild nausea. I also find flat ginger ale can be effective for mild nausea.

ahimsa likes this.
  7. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

Homeopathic nux vomica 5C. Always works for me and has worked for my father and two relatives as well.
    Placebo? I doubt it, I have tried other homeo products indicated for the same issue (arsenic album, carbo vegetabilis) and didn't work.

Keep in mind that 5C still contains molecules of the active substance. Just saying to avoid the usual mantra ... It's just sugar pills and such :rolleyes:

If it's placebo, then best placebo ever. ;)

WoolPippi likes this.
  8. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    These https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Band-Wrist-Band-Nausea-Relief/dp/B000LNEB0Q seem similar to what my sister tried for bad sea sickness. This was about 10 years ago, so all I really remember is the wrist band with the 'lumpy' bit. They worked for her. Seems to be a lot of generic products out there.

Skippa likes this.
  9. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    I thought I'd mention another cause of nausea which may require a different treatment.

I get nausea when my blood pressure drops due to dysautonomia (POTS, NMH). Nausea is a common symptom of pre-syncope (pre-fainting), along with feeling dizzy or lightheaded, cold sweat, etc.

Before I had any diagnosis I tried various nausea treatments (ginger, etc.) and they did not work very well. Once I started treating my autonomic dysfunction then my nausea problems got a lot better. So, for me, it's not due to something I ate or some digestion problem. It seems to be from my dropping blood pressure.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

PatJ, mango, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  10. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Who let the dogs out?!! Woof! Woof!

I take a homepathic when feeling nauseated & dizzy (when my symptoms mimic the feeling of motion sickness or sea sickness). I always carry it in my purse. Cocculus Indicus 30C, made by Boiron:

https://www.amazon.com/Cocculus-Indicus-30C-Boiron-Pellet/dp/B00028NZGG/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1467233933&sr=1-1&keywords=cocculus indicus 30c

The Cocculus Indicus, 6C product has a different strength, so might be a better option.

https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Homeopathic-Medicine-Cocculus-Indicus/dp/B000FPC6PC/ref=pd_sim_325_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41+oyeF7+SL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=7888C9PJ290V3FB42KX7#customerReviews

The reason I orginally chose this, was due to the writing on the container that said "motion sickness with need to lie down"

GD :dog:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  11. Groggy Doggy

Groggy Doggy Who let the dogs out?!! Woof! Woof!

I have used ReliefBand for almost 20 years. It used to be less expensive; before the FDA cleared it as a medical device.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VU8XXB..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6271S937B78WXX0277KV

"The ReliefBand® with Replaceable Batteries is a FDA cleared medical device that relieves symptoms associated with Motion Sickness (nausea and vomiting) using proprietary nerve stimulation technology. Technically referred to as “neuromodulation,” the ReliefBand is specifically programmed to regulate and balance the various stimulus mechanisms causing motion sickness. When activated, the device emits gentle electrical impulses to the underside of the wrist. These intermittent signals create a “tingling” sensation in the palm and middle fingers, indicating the device is working and stimulating the appropriate median nerve."

PatJ and Skippa like this.
  12. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Corticosteroids increase stomach acid which inhibits pathogens. This abstract lists :
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184695

I take hydrocortisone , ( partial pituitary failure), and the last time I had a crisis, (~5 1/2 yrs. ago), I couldn't stop vomiting until the EMT hooked me up to an NaCl IV. The HC alone didn't work.

Now, If I feel like I'm headed for a crisis, nausea and vomiting, etc., I take a couple of salt tablets.

In other words, salt tablets ease my nausea.

WoolPippi likes this.
  13. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    diluted lemon juice
    HCL pills
    diluted vinegar

my nausea is cortisol - stomach acid related too.

Crux likes this.
  14. WoolPippi

WoolPippi Senior Member

Netherlands
    I'm interested in how treat your autonomic dysfunction with regards to nausea. I will go look at your profile page as not to distract this thread.
    I'm assuming salt, Florinef and lying down but I don't like to assume.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  15. digital dog

digital dog Senior Member

Fizzy water and burping.
    Had nausea every morning (and most days) for two decades.
    It has left now.

See more popular forum discussions.