• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naturopath and supplementation and an overburdened body.

manna

definitely sounds all a bit too much. night time sweats i get when i eat gluten so generally associate them with a bad allergy to something. nails are nourished by the liver in chinese medicine so weak nails can for sure be from overburdening the liver. i can't take supplements anymore. i don't think i would if i could. what works for folk in acute conditions cannot necesarily be extrapolated to chronic conditions, especially where digestion and the body's ability to process, and thus make use of said supplements, is gonna be greatly reduced...and whats not correctly processed, itself, becomes another cause of toxicity.

its a good reason to go for energy medicines like acupuncture (electroacupuncture at home, not needles), complex homeopathy (multiple remedies at multiple potencies that remove practitioner skill and is better suited to chronic health conditions) and my personal favourite, which is polairty therapy using "pulsors"...physiological relaxation = die off...there's no better way ime.. introducing no physical substance to the body and only removing what is burdensome...hopefully. ..and the diet has to be right to support it.

i no longer see any practitioners but was never told buy them that they would definitely cure me...though i think a couple thought they could...and everything in its right place, they/it might have done. chi transference from a tai chi master was really something...but then i got home and did my own therapy with and boom, too much. like someone else said, even the me/cfs docs have little clue and are really crossing their fingers that it all works. money back guarantee? why not...i think they all should. tricky if what they're presrcibing is very reliant on you eating a s[pecific diet etc and whether you do that with a treatment.

i don't think herbs and supplememnts can help much here. i did hear of one lady in a local newspaper who claimed recovery on herbs though i think she was within the first 3 years when i think such approaches may still be viable...and of course then they think its viable for everyone!

Dainty

Just to contrast experiences...

My naturopath was cautious to do even too much muscle testing, because she said the body gets "excited" about bein glistened to and the process wears it out.

She herself was surprised and practically apologetic to be recommending "so much" - 1 homeopathic and 3 supplements, one of which was plain chlorella.

One of the other supplements never worked for me. I reported it seemed to be causing adverse affects, and she immediately advised I stop taking it, just like that. Next time in we figured out which ingredients were to much.

I believe that it's at least as much the practitioner's responsibility as the patient's to be sensitive to overburdening the body. My first nauropath would prescribe an herbal supplement according to her training, and after a year she became frustrated about how I just wasn't doing what she told me to. Well, nearly everything I tried from her gave me intolerable reactions! But of course it was my fault for not "sticking with it..." This naturopath is a world of difference.

Do what you gotta do, but it sounds to me like your naturopath would be a constant battle to work with. Wishing you all the gentle and sensitive care (AND SLEEP!) in the world. :hug:

definitely sounds all a bit too much. night time sweats i get when i eat gluten so generally associate them with a bad allergy to something. nails are nourished by the liver in chinese medicine so weak nails can for sure be from overburdening the liver. i can't take supplements anymore. i don't think i would if i could. what works for folk in acute conditions cannot necesarily be extrapolated to chronic conditions, especially where digestion and the body's ability to process, and thus make use of said supplements, is gonna be greatly reduced...and whats not correctly processed, itself, becomes another cause of toxicity.

its a good reason to go for energy medicines like acupuncture (electroacupuncture at home, not needles), complex homeopathy (multiple remedies at multiple potencies that remove practitioner skill and is better suited to chronic health conditions) and my personal favourite, which is polairty therapy using "pulsors"...physiological relaxation = die off...there's no better way ime.. introducing no physical substance to the body and only removing what is burdensome...hopefully. ..and the diet has to be right to support it.

i no longer see any practitioners but was never told buy them that they would definitely cure me...though i think a couple thought they could...and everything in its right place, they/it might have done. chi transference from a tai chi master was really something...but then i got home and did my own therapy with and boom, too much. like someone else said, even the me/cfs docs have little clue and are really crossing their fingers that it all works. money back guarantee? why not...i think they all should. tricky if what they're presrcibing is very reliant on you eating a s[pecific diet etc and whether you do that with a treatment.

i don't think herbs and supplememnts can help much here. i did hear of one lady in a local newspaper who claimed recovery on herbs though i think she was within the first 3 years when i think such approaches may still be viable...and of course then they think its viable for everyone!
Honestly as I'm sure you are/were I'm just trying anything to help with this debilitating disease I've had it about 4 years could be more but in this last year the effects are getting worse,I can no longer work I basically just sit in the house all day watching tv
For me this is hard to take as I worked from the day I left school 17 years I'm 35 and I was always doing stuff at the weekends and now I do nothing

manna

Honestly as I'm sure you are/were I'm just trying anything to help with this debilitating disease I've had it about 4 years could be more but in this last year the effects are getting worse,I can no longer work I basically just sit in the house all day watching tv
For me this is hard to take as I worked from the day I left school 17 years I'm 35 and I was always doing stuff at the weekends and now I do nothing

sorry, i should have been clearer that i was replying to the original post. your's doesn't sound like a bad supplement protocol, as they go, and appreciate you gotta do something huh. ive had alot more success with energy medicine and diet. sometimes all i can do is diet untill my body relaxes and can then take energy medicine again. sometimes its good to leave your body alone i think. as long as your diet hasn't become too restrictive. going organic gets rid of alot of problems in my experiencew...and half the supplements taken could be inadvertently trying to address the toxicity caused by pesticides. so its also what you don't do...in fact id say that what you don't do is more important, i.e. don't eat wheat, don't eat pestcides, not too much suigar/starch etc etc.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Ashwagandha did little for me the first two tries. These days, four capsules of it is like a nice dose of ACE and feels like heaven. If I miss a dose of it, I drag for the day. It is clearly the kingpin in my functional level at this time.
@GracieJ, what size are your Ashwagandha capsules? I recently started one capsule of it and have not noticed a difference. I wonder if I should increase the dose.

GracieJ

@GracieJ, what size are your Ashwagandha capsules? I recently started one capsule of it and have not noticed a difference. I wonder if I should increase the dose.

@Little Bluestem My capsules are size 0. I buy bulk herbs so there are no fillers and pack the capsules as tightly as I can. Weighed on a micro scale, I am consuming just over 1 gram of powdered ashwagandha daily.

Last edited: