1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nature: Psychological treatments: A call for mental-health science

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Firestormm, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    You really managed to push me into playing the devil's advocate! :p

I agree with you that CBT is more or less common sense, that behaviorism core theory is very often simplistic and I don't want to support CBT more than needed.

I don't think CBT is a cure for anything, even psychiatric diseases that are organic disease IMO. But it can help cope, with basic and common sense tools that one can be deprived of due to various reasons. The therapist must be aware of his/her limits.

But I think you shouldn't be so hard on people who need at some point or another, these 'simplistic' tools.

WillowJ and SOC like this.
  2. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

if it genuinely helps them you can't argue with this.

I can see that there is a need for psychological support in serious chronic illness i just don't like the way certain therapies are promoted and the general philosophy they are based on. and that's just my opinion which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

3. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    This thread is closed due to numerous personal attacks, arguing, and going hopelessly off-topic.

All the personal attacks and most of the off-topics posts have been removed.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

See more popular forum discussions.