1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'Nature' editorial on reproducibility - more demanding standards for research

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    This whole reproducibility thing is really taking off:

Announcement: Reducing our irreproducibility (open access)
    Most of this looks really good, though it's a little worrying that a journal of Nature's standing feels the need to remind reviewers and authors that experiments need to adjust for multiple comparisons, or that data must meet the assumptions of the statistical test being applied (eg normal distribution).

They also encourage a move to open data:
    alex3619 and jenbooks like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Senior Member

"encourage"?

Should be an absolute obligatory not-even-up-for-debate minimum requirement for all peer review publications. There are no excuses for not publishing all data, and every reason for publishing. Anything less is a perverse joke.
    alex3619 likes this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Indeed. Lack of transparency is a big reason why these things persist.
    Sean likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Transparency, accountability and governance issues were what my unfinished blog was to be about, which should have been finished in March. I may now have to substantially rewrite it, I have lost some of the material. These are issues I consider paramount in changing medicine for the better.
  5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Strange - as a non scientist I I always believed transparency the very foundation of scientific enquiry (open) - if not non science.
    jenbooks likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.