1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nature article about Judy Mikovits and XMRV

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Nature has published a lengthy article about Judy Mikovits and some of the history of XMRV:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110314/full/471282a.html

And Phoenix Rising is mentioned :)

Also best quotes from the article:

and

Unfortunately there's some scary stuff also:

and:

2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is a pretty huge article I think... not only in words, but also because it reveals some information I have been wondering about. Why Peterson left the WPI for example.

Having read the article, I am left with the feeling that Mikovits is losing allies and I am losing some confidence that XMRV is the potential cause of XMRV. I still think the connection is there though, but I guess we'll find out (soon hopefully).
  3. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

I thought this article seemed to sum up the complex situation in a balanced way. I hope Judy can publish soon to stop the contamination issue for once and for all.
  4. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yeah, it's pretty balanced I think!
    Not sure if a publication by Judy will stop the contamination issues. Other researchers should validate her findings, that's how it's done in science. Also she has become pretty controversial I am afraid, so the stuff she publishes from now on will be looked at very differently...

(I am still very glad she's doing this research for us by the way, she has stuck her neck out).
  5. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think this is good article. It does show why Peterson left the WPI and yet I think it shows Dr. Mikovits in a good light as well.
  6. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Not cool and definitely not cool! [​IMG]

Peterson was a founding contributor, the clinical director. The building has his name on it. Nothing would have gotten off of the ground without his patients or his efforts. Ouch!!!

This article explains quite a bit.

I wish Peterson the very best of luck with Levy.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for that.

I'm really keen to see a proper response from Silverman to the contamination stuff.
  8. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    Yea, seriously not cool and childish. The more I hear of things she has done or says the more I do not like her or believe her work. It is absolutely unexceptionable not to tell Peterson and if I was him I would have left too.

Many patients have made the same criticisms of the authors of the negative papers; that they had to big of a ego, doing things in their own interest, and were overstepping the science. All along she has been doing and saying the same thing. The more I hear about her actions the more respect I loose of her.
  9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's really hard to judge someone's personality from little scraps like this. Best to just focus on the evidence imo - if XMRV works out, none of us will care about how secretive they were when they started looking in to it. It was when the WPI was just starting up too... who knows what state they were in.
  10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
  11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
  12. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Cort - the whole history in this important publication. Much hope the politics will go away very very shortly. Personally cannot believe XMRV/related is not part of the complex interactions - puppet or puppeteer - only she and her co-researchers will find. The behaviour of the rest of the "scientific community" just sickens - almost too eager to dispel and very few recognising the advances in understanding the disease.
  13. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    A BIG OUCH for Peterson! No wonder he split like he did. I would be hurt and miffed too, if someone did that to me.

Still I wonder... what was JM thinking? And what was her relationship like with Peterson that motivated her to be so secretive... ???

Only those two real know what the hell was going on with all that, and I'm sure there's more to the story than what was revealed in the article.

Whenever strong personalities meet, (and BOTH of those two fit that description), there is always bound to be some kind of drama.
  14. toddm1960

toddm1960 Senior Member

Rochester, New York
    Does anyone know why positive papers still are having trouble being published?
  15. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

So why do I have the feeling that the replication study by Levy and Peterson is not going to validate the findings of the original study? I get that feeling from reading this article... the wording suggests to me that it won't be a positive study. Things like:

and directly after that:

Somehow these parts suggest to me the study will be a negative?

Also the fact that Peterson left the WPI, because he felt it was too focused on XMRV contributes to this feeling...

Hopefully I am reading too much into this.
  16. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    I would like to know where the author got these quotes? Most of it sounds as if it was gleaned from secondary sources such as talks posted on line, diffrent people that Mikovits has talked to over the last year and other articles. This does not read as if this author actually talked to Dr. Mikovits over the space of time indicated in the article.

Personally I find the article snarky and laden with innuendo. (big shrugs)
  17. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Do we have a hint as to what study this refers to? I swear, if I read "chronic fatigue" one more time today I think my head's going to split open.
  18. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Did they add to this article since this morning? There are a number of paragraphs I don't remember seeing in my first reading. Maybe I was dozing off....?
  19. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    So much in this article, overall it was very good, just wish they would stop using the name "chronic fatigue" especially in lowercase.

I'm still saddened that Peterson left the WPI, both sides have been such heros for us.

I've been wondering what Mikovits was referring to when she said " I think the politics will go away shortly" in her Jan 2011 speech in Santa Rosa. Maybe it's the Levy study. Anyone know when completion is expected?
  20. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I don't think so, unless I was dozing off myself :D

See more popular forum discussions.