• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural supplements that can stop Dopamine's conversion to Norepinephrine?

Peyt

I am replying to my old thread again just because I think this is key info for someone suffering with anxiety created by excess NE.. Magnesium can help with this process a lot.

aaron_c

Excessive copper can increase the conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine through increases (in number or function?) of dopamine beta-hydroxylase, a copper-containing enzyme. When I took copper, one of the things that happened was my mental focus improved while my motivation just kind of petered out. I assume that was from plenty of NE, but not enough dopamine.

I want to know this too, due to problems with high NE/low DA (this is a simplification).

Like Aaron said, copper fed to animals increased NE and likely can do the same in people in large doses.

Vit C is the other cofactor, but it's less clear its effects. I do avoid large doses.

There's a thread on longecity: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...ine-if-you-got-issues-decrease-noradrenaline/

Disulfiram is out of the picture for obvious reasons. The most interesting was Ursolic Acid: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24116298 (credit to longecity)
This research was designed to determine what components of Gardenia jasminoides play a major role in inhibiting the enzymes related antidepressant activity of this plant. In our previous research, the ethyl acetate fraction of G. jasminosides fruits inhibited the activities of both monoamine oxidase-A (MAO-A) and monoamine oxidase-B (MAO-B), and oral administration of the ethanolic extract slightly increased serotonin concentrations in the brain tissues of rats and decreased MAO-B activity. In addition, we found through in vitro screening test that the ethyl acetate fraction showed modest inhibitory activity on dopamine-β hydroxylase (DBH). The bioassay-guided fractionation led to the isolation of five bio-active compounds, protocatechuic acid (1), geniposide (2), 6'-O-trans-p-coumaroylgeniposide (3), 3,5-d-ihydroxy-1,7-bis (4-hydroxyphenyl) heptanes (4), and ursolic acid (5), from the ethyl acetate fraction of G. jasminoides fruits. The isolated compounds showed different inhibitory potentials against MAO-A, -B, and DBH. Protocatechuic acid showed potent inhibition against MAO-B (IC50 300 μmol/L) and DBH (334 μmol/L), exhibiting weak MAO-A inhibition (2.41 mmol/L). Two iridoid glycosides, geniposide (223 μmol/L) and 6'-O-trans-p-coumaroylgeniposide (127μmol/L), were selective MAO-B inhibitor. Especially, 6'-O-trans-p-coumaroylgeniposide exhibited more selective MAO-B inhibition than deprenyl, well-known MAO-B inhibitor for the treatment of early-stage Parkinson's disease. The inhibitory activity of 3,5-di-hydroxy-1,7-bis (4-hydroxyphenyl) heptane was strong for MAO-B (196 μmol/L), modest for MAO-A (400 μmol/L), and weak for DBH (941 μmol/L). Ursolic acid exhibited significant inhibition of DBH (214 μmol/L), weak inhibition of MAO-B (780 μmol/L), and no inhibition against MAO-A. Consequently, G. jasminoides fruits are considerable for development of biofunctional food materials for the combination treatment of depression and neurodegenerative disorders.

But the supplement Ursolic acid seems to be unaffordable in high doses and bodybuilders don't report much from it. I doubt 50mg in Fuji apples amounts to much.

aaron_c

copper fed to animals increased NE and likely can do the same in people in large doses.

Hah. I didn't say that, exactly. Actually, I was having trouble finding a study to back up what I have thought for a few years to be true. Thanks!

Peyt

Excessive copper can increase the conversion of dopamine to norepinephrine through increases (in number or function?) of dopamine beta-hydroxylase, a copper-containing enzyme. When I took copper, one of the things that happened was my mental focus improved while my motivation just kind of petered out. I assume that was from plenty of NE, but not enough dopamine.
If this is true, it makes sense why my body resonates with Molybdenum so much. It pulls copper.
I thought the reason I do well with Molybdenum is because it cleans out the Sulfites. But whatever, it works for me! :)