• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

natural remedies for pollen allergies?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Yes, the acacias look pretty, but when they hit full bloom (which is right now), they make my brain miserable with inflammation from the histamine reaction. Along with the acacias, the pines are going off now too, as well as the cyprus. The tree pollen has hit the HIGH reading this week. Arggggh, spring is always something I dread.

I am going to get some high dose quercitin today, which can be helpful. But I was wondering what other NATURAL (herbal, supplement) remedies people here use for allergies...?

Unknown.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Thanks everyone. Interesting responses. Some I have never tried.

adreno How does methylfolate help?

Last night was nasty. My sinuses are invading my brain. YIKES! I want sleeeeeep!

adreno

PR activist
Okay, but OVER methylation can make my symptoms worse.

Right now, I am taking the HB12 and MB12, but fear adding the methylfolate.

What ratio do you use btwn the B12 and folate?...just in case I want to try.
I'm at 2000mcg mb12 and 400mcg methylfolate, the dosages that Rich suggested. You need much more B12 than folate. 200-400mcg methylfolate should be plenty, no need to go overboard. I am not a fan of hb12 as it uses up gluthatione and methyl groups in order to get converted to active B12.

Ema

JAH Do you use the PLUM FLOWER brand, and how much do you take?

Do you know if this is any good for severe inflammation? I've never heard of it. I do know that it's very expensive.
Yes, according to the literature it exhibits anti inflammatory effects.

I took it one spring in Atlanta when the pollen was so thick I could write my name on my car in it every evening after work. It worked a charm for me but since my Addison's diagnosis and treatment, I have very little allergy trouble anymore so I haven't used it in a couple of years now.

Hip

I already mentioned this to Dreambirdie in a PM, but I'll restate it here in case it helps anyone else with pollen allergy:

About 15 years ago, I was experimenting with different supplements, to try to reduce my hay fever (pollen allergy), which I had had for over a decade, and was quite bad.

One year I tried a combination of high dose Echinacea, vitamin C and, probably most crucially, GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyric acid; also called sodium oxybate).

GHB has been banned now, but was legally available as a dietary supplement at the time. You can still obtain GHB as a prescription drug, under the name Xyrem; it is often used a potent treatment for insomnia.

GHB significantly boosts growth hormone in the body.

Anyway, not only did that combo of supplements improve my hay fever, but it also cured it: the following year, I had almost no hay fever symptoms at all, and ever since then, my hay fever has never come back.

To reiterate: I suspect that it was GHB that cured my pollen allergy, as I used to take echinacea and vitamin C, but this did very little for my hay fever until I added the GHB.